Sometimes I go to church not because I want to, but because I have to. Maybe I'm alone on that, but I doubt it. When you are the pastor's kid and you have obligations to fulfill, you have to be there whether you feel like it or not. I've often felt guilty for that. In a perfect world, we'd all arrive for worship ready and yearning to worship. Well, that's just not so for SO many. Sundays are a hassle in our home. There are children to be bathed and fed and clothed and in the car ON TIME. That in and of itself is quite a feat. By the time we arrive I'm grouchy and ready to go home.
Back to that sermon... he said that even if you aren't completely into the worship singing to rival the angels, if you want to be, that in and of itself is worship. Even if you don't want it, knowing that you can't muster up feelings on your own and turning to God's grace begging Him to help you desire to worship, that's worship. Wow, that helped me a lot. Worship isn't about us, it never was, never will be. It's about God and if we come to the realization that we can't even worship apart from God's grace, that's a very good step in the direction of having a heart of worship.
Now, back to the quote that brought to mind the sermon:
“Come for repentance, if you cannot come repenting. Come for a broken heart, if you cannot come with a broken heart. Come to be melted, if you are not melted. Come to be wounded, if you are not wounded.”Even if you don't have it all together, especially if you don't have it all together, come.
- Charles Spurgeon, The Precious Blood of Christ
1 comment:
Gotta love Spurgeon.
This is a great reminder, Courtney. Worship is so much more than singing some songs during church and feeling ooey gooey inside. If you do it right, you can worship God while cleaning the toilet and it can be deep and meaningful.
Desiring worship is worship.....that's just beautiful.
Post a Comment