August 4, 2008

Rethinking our school year

I have a terrible time making decisions. Especially expensive ones. As I mentioned a while back, our plan was to use Sonlight. Well, in process of placing my order I became very uneasy. I had been praying about whether this was the path for our family and I just didn't feel right about it. I'm not sure that the reading all the time thing would be a good fit at this point in time. Chris and I are both big readers, and we want to encourage that in our kids, but I just don't know if that would be accomplished for us in me reading aloud all the way up until 7th grade. I want them to be independent readers, not expecting me to do all the work by constantly reading to them when they are more than capable. I've heard fabulous things about Sonlight, and it works for many I just don't think it would for us. In addition, it's not cheap. Not at all. So... that puts us right back at square one and it's AUGUST ALREADY!! AAHHHH!!

I kicked around using Covenant Home Curriculum. That caught our eye because of it's reformed theology and it's considerably more cost effective than Sonlight. Upon further investigation, I found that they have received some pretty awful reviews and their return policy is also bad. I didn't want to risk buying poor curriculum and not being able to return it.

Then, I decided to check out Heart of Dakota. My friend Sheri used it with her daughter last year and they loved it. It is also what my sister in law will be using with her daughter. One of my favorite things about this curricula is that it's all about God. Rather than Bible just being a single subject, it is woven through every aspect. I was also happy to see that they use Singapore Math which is what we were planning on getting through Sonlight. The icing on the cake with Heart of Dakota is that the total cost for both kids is half what Sonlight was going to cost for just Ian. Wowser! I am finally feeling a peace about our direction and am happy that I can comfortably and confidently order books for next year from Heart of Dakota.

Once we get going on our school year I'll be sure to give you an update on how it's all going.

And He said, “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” And he said to him, “If your presence will not go with me, do not bring us up from here.
Exodus 33:14-15(ESV)

2 comments:

Annette said...

I hear you on the cost of SL. I used it for the first 3 years of homeschooling, but only 2 of those years did I buy the complete curriculum. I have what you probably don't however... a great library system.

I will continue to use SL's read aloud lists, but that's about it. If you ever get a chance to go to a Carole Joy Seid seminar up here in the Cities... DO IT. She's wonderful and her book lists are second to none (you can only get it by attending a one day seminar).

We typically spend $500-1000 per year. This year, due to all the awesome libaray resources, we will spend less than that. If we were to send our kids to public school, we would be spending more than what we do on homeschooling with all the extras... fund raising, transportation, teacher gifts, etc.

We started with Singapore, and I really like it... but my kids... not so much. I found it difficult in teaching concepts. Math U See is great for teaching concepts and Isaac scored way ahead of his grade level on his annual testing this year. Something to keep in mind if Singapore is difficult for you.

Sheri said...

Courtney, I'm just thrilled that the Lord has directed you to "Heart of Dakota." No curriculum is perfect and every family must prayerfully decide what's best for their family... but "HOD" has indeed been a blessing to our family and I praise the Lord for working in my heart and the lives of our little ones as we learn... I look forward to reading more on your blog about your homeschooling adventures this year!

*Hugs*