August 21, 2008

A camping we will go!

Today will be spent doing laundry, packing, vacuuming out the car and preparing to leave tomorrow morning for a weekend of camping! Now, those of you who actually know me may be having a hard time with the last part of that sentence. I hate camping. With a passion. The whole tent business with the sleeping on the ground and the bugs and the burning.up.hot mugginess, ewww... I don't like it. Not at all. I don't do burning.up.hot. That's why my kind of camping involves a super nice 5th wheel trailer with plumbing and electricity and beds and full kitchens and air conditioning and ahhh.... doesn't that sound nice? It's the kind of camping I've been doing ever since I can remember. It used to be much more frequent than it is now, but it's fun all the same.


It's kind of scary starting my kids in on this tradition that I loved growing up. Most of my memories involve my cousin Heather and myself and usually... boys. She is a couple years older than I am and suffice it say, I believe that her mission was to introduce me to the ways of the world. We would spend FOREVER primping and preening doing hair and make-up just so and then would head off to the campground clubhouse where the testosterone abounded. Mind you, I was not very old. Maybe 14 or 15, but after she worked her magic(she works that magic quite successfully as a profession now-although I suspect there's a lot more of the old looking young going on), we could both easily be passed off as old enough for the late night no kids swim time and certainly old enough to gain a bit of attention from the high school and college age boys lingering about. Now before all of you start letting your minds wander, we never did anything BAD. Heavens no. A lot of lying, yes, but nothing horribly dreadfully immoral. We did have a great deal of fun.

In hindsight, I learned a lot about how I will parent my kids. I'm not saying that Heather and I had bad parents, we actually were both raised in amazing homes by wonderful God-fearing men and women. The problem... they trusted us. Maybe too much. Who knows though, maybe they were right in giving us so much space. Like I said, we were never truly bad. I suppose if you train up a child in the way he or she should go there has to be a point at which you set them free to make their own choices. Those boys though... they shouldn't have been trusted. I fear for the first boy that gives our daughter that look. You know the one, all googly eyed. I dare say that the little princess's daddy may have his hide. :)

Well, reminiscing has been fun, but the laundry awaits. Have a wonderful weekend, y'all!

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Have fun!!!

Annette said...

Very insightful post :) Have a great time with your family.