August 15, 2008

Not the least bit surprised....

...that the Lakeland "revival" ended with a tailspin. Since the hype all started, I was uneasy and a huge skeptic. I just didn't buy it. It's not that I don't think that God can and does heal people. I know He does. The thing that bothered me so terribly much was the disregard for Truth. I was thinking the exact same thing that Lee Grady states in an article addressing the situation:
"True revival will be accompanied by brokenness, humility, reverence and repentance—not the arrogance, showmanship and empty hype that often was on display in Lakeland."
If we as Christians don't embrace truth and dig deep into the Word knowing God intimately, practicing discernment and testing everything rather than just using the "swallow and follow" method that was being employed in Lakeland then we leave ourselves in an awful vulnerable position. I know too many people that are afraid to test things (people, the books they read, so-called prophetic words) against scripture because then you run the risk of hurting someone's feelings or quenching the Spirit. Yes, we need to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit and to the feelings of others, but you are not doing anyone a favor by taking what they believe to be the Lord speaking or acting as gospel truth. If it doesn't line up with who God has revealed himself to be in scripture, then by all means question it!!

I'll leave you with a favorite quote of mine that I think fits here. It seems to me that I heard this on a Mark Driscoll podcast, but I'm not certain. Anyway, it's a great reminder to fill ourselves with, read and think about "whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable" (Phil 4:8).
"Just because there is water in the toilet doesn't mean you should drink it."

2 comments:

Annette said...

Amen and Amen. I haven't been up to date on this, but even knowing the little I did, it just didn't seem right. Thank you for your glorifying insight.

Annette said...

Have a blessed day Courtney! We are off to Mpls for violin lessons. Scary considering the lack of practice lately.