August 11, 2008

Nothin' much to say

I feel like I should post something because it's been a while, but I don't really have anything worth reading so here is a rambling overview of what's rolling around in my head.

It's been life as usual around the farm. I still feel like crap almost every single day. I had an enormously huge migraine that caused me to throw up in the middle of the street downtown last week. That was pretty gross and embarrassing and I think that the kids and my husband wanted to crawl under a rock rather than claim me as theirs.

Ummm... what else...

I'm starting to freak out about school. Like seriously freak out. What if I entirely mess my kids up by attempting to teach them at home? Wouldn't it be easier to just toss them on the bus every day and send them to the lions?? Easier... probably. The best choice... definitely not. One of those areas that I just need to continue to lift in prayer and trust God to provide the grace I need each day to train up the little terrors - I mean children - He has entrusted to my care.

Speaking of schooling and children and whatnot... are the rest of you home educators involved in a homeschool group or coop at all?? Do you think they are necessary, beneficial? We have a new one starting here and I'm apprehensive. I know we should be a part of it because it'll provide interaction with other kidlets and get us out of the house once a week but the truth of it... I have social anxiety disorder. Not really, but I may as well. I sweat thinking about throwing myself into a situation in which I have to participate in the exchange of witty and intelligent conversation (without ticking someone off) for an entire afternoon every. single. week. I'm not a denim jumper wearing, bun sporting, mini van driving mom with a passel of children in tow who are always well mannered and polite(no offense if you are, please!!). No ma'am. I drive a hybrid, I speak my opinion when I should bite my tongue and I wouldn't be caught dead in a jumper(I did go through a phase in the early 90's, but I have repented of those heinous errors in wardrobe judgment). Perhaps I need to think of this as a step in my journey of sanctification. It would be good for me to learn to be cordial and accommodating to those who have chosen to raise their families in a very different way than we have. All the group participants love Jesus no matter which church they attend or how many kids they have or what they wear or which holidays they do or do not celebrate. That is really all that matters in the grand scheme of things.

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift. ~Ephesians 4:1-7(ESV)

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Ya, just get over it and keep going. (Says me who hasn't gone to ANY of the meetings yet.) Those ladies aren't that scary, are they? ;)

Annette said...

Nice ramblings!:)

I'm definately not a jean jumper, bun wearing kinda homeschooling mama either... and we drive an SUV ... oops.

As far as school goes, we're winding down the all day free times and trying to get some control of a schedule. I'm still waiting for some curriculum boxes to arrive... better than Christmas I tell you. I'm freakin' a bit too about this school year. I have so much I want to do, and will be adding our youngest in K this year. So 3rd, 1st and K. Very scary. I do tend to be a bit agressive on the curriculum, but if it's definately not working, I drop it. I just need to get a better sense of a schedule for us for this coming school year and I've been working on that pretty steadily. Our main problem is we do way too much running. Violin is a huge commitment. We have to travel to Mpls twice weekly and that means leaving unfinished school work, etc. and very rarely is there energy enough to pick up where we left off when we return. We do bring some with us, but my kids are not yet independent learners in LAs and such.

We are in a coop. It only meets every other Wed. which is perfect, and the classes offered are exceptional. We pay instructors and parents do not need to take a teaching roll. This year my kids will be doing Creation Science (taught by a college prof. who travels all over the TC teaching HS coops), Young Rembrandts (a great art program) and gym (taught by a HS mom with a phys ed degree). We will not be taking Spanish as I teach that at home using a great commissions language program written by a missionary. I could defintely do without doing the coop as we get quite a bit of socialization, but it is a good offering of classes, and is a chance to connect with other hs kids every other week. Weekly would be tough for us.

My younger two will continue on with Awanas this year, but I will not be teaching. I need a break. I do teach a women's Bible study on HS Coop days while the kids are in classes.

I think regardless of how long you hs, you will always feel like you might not we doing an adequate job, but believe me, you will be doing just fine. I really believe hs is one of the best gifts we can give our kids, regardless of our good and bad days. I'm very excited to get started.