January 10, 2009

What was she thinking?!?!

On Tuesday morning Audrey came downstairs as if nothing was wrong. One look at her told me there was something VERY wrong. There was an ENORMOUS section of hair missing from one side of her head!!! Upon interrogation, I found out that she had been chewing gum which in turn got in her hair and she thought she'd just cut it out. WHAT!?!? Apparently she thought she'd be in LESS trouble cutting it(hoping I wouldn't notice)than simply coming to me and asking for help getting the gum out. grrr....... Needless to say, she is not not allowed gum OR scissors indefinitely.
Here's a picture of the damage. It appears that she actually took two whacks at it. It's hard to tell in the picture, so I drew lines where it's actually cut. The shorter section was a good 8" shorter than the rest of her hair. Since I've been sick all week and also quite distraught since the only haircut I've ever given her has been a 1" trim every 6 months or so I didn't do anything about it. Today though I decided that I at least needed to make an attempt. There was NO WAY I was cutting it all chin length, so I did my best. Her question (in a bit too excited of a voice, might I add), "can you cut it just like Teya's?!?!" Teya is Tanya's oldest daughter and Audrey's idol. She has a darling chin length bob, but this mama was NOT ready for that kind of change. I did cut probably 5-6" inches off the back and kind of angled it down from her chin. I'll continue to level it off as it grows and I gain courage, but here's what it looks like so far:Forgive the dazed look, she's snot-nosed and drugged up... we're all sick. Her hair hasn't been this short since she was 2. *sniff* I know I'm being dumb, it's hair, it'll grow. It was just very traumatic for me. Maybe it's because I had a mullet when I was her age and was hoping for so much better for her. Oh well.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

I was hoping to see some pics of the fateful event. I know that this was hard on you, but at least she didn't hack it off at the scalp. I've seen other kids that have done that.

And for what it's worth, her hair looks nice.