January 7, 2009

Fluffy Mail

The fluffy mail has started trickling in. Once they are all here, which should be in the next few days, I'll post a picture of my.... errr... the baby's... fancy new diaper stash. Cause it's sure purdy. :) Do you think 15ish is enough?? I don't anticipate using cloth at night until she sleeps through the night. I don't want to deal w/cloth for midnight changes cause I'm lazy. We probably also won't use them for going out for the first few months. Maybe once we get the hang of it, but not right away.

I can say fairly confidently that so far the SposoEasy is my favorite. It's unbelievably trim comparatively speaking, was really pretty cheap for a brand new All-In-One ($16 including shipping w/a coupon code I found) and the makers, Blue Penguin, seem like genuinely nice folks. They even sent me a free doubler. I've heard that you get free stuff with every order. I like free stuff. :) Also, the soaker thing that makes it an AIO is only sewn into the back so it's like a flap meaning it won't take 29yrs to dry and I can easily throw a doubler under it for more absorbency if needed.

So, now I need to start thinking about not only prepping my new diapers, but how to wash them in general. Any recommendations?? I thought I was going to use homemade laundry soap courtesy of a recipe Tanya gave me involving soap/washing soda/Borax. However, I have since read that real soap is a no-no and Borax eats elastic. Hmm.. not cool. I know some people just use Tide or All Free/Clear or whatever and others use the fancy "diaper safe" detergents like the ridiculously expensive Allen's Natually. Does it REALLY matter though? I thought about trying Crunchy Clean. Mostly because she's a SAHM and I like her 'About Me' page, she sounds like somebody I could be friends with.
What do YOU use?

Oh, and what about wipes?? Cloth wipes seem to make the most sense. I've got plenty of flannel so I can whip some up. Is putting them in a plastic wipes tub with water and baby wash the best way to go about it? Seems pretty simple.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Soap, hmmmmm, when Ethan was in cloth I just used whatever cheap stuff I could find. Now I use my homemade soap and it works great. The elastic is holding up just fine - no problems there.

You've read that "real" soap is bad for diapers? Why?

I use cloth wipes all the time, even with disposables. I just grab a dry wipe and get it wet in the sink right before I use it. Whenever I tried keeping them in a water mixture they would end up moldy because I didn't use them up fast enough. I've heard that having a mixture in a spray bottle works nicely.....just spray the butt or the rag, then wipe. But I'm lazy and I'm all for the easiest way. ;)

Steph T said...

Yay! I can't wait to see fluffy pics. :) I have to go look at pics of those sposo diapers too...sounds interesting!

I love using cloth wipes. We keep ours dry in a wipes container on the bathroom counter. There they find uses for the whole family! When we know we are going for a poopy job, then we stop by the bathroom first. When one catches us off guard, then we usually yell for an older kid to bring us some. Now that we're doing daycare we have the disposable wipes back by our changing table. So if we're *particularly* lazy, then we just use those. As for soap on our cloth wipes, we have the foaming soap dispensers and if I think a baby needs a little soap, then I put a squirt in one wipe and use a plain water wipe for "rinsing." I made some of my own homemade soap once, too. It was pretty easy. I bought the glycerin bricks at a crafting store ($5 for a lb) and a mold. I broke off chunks, melted it in the microwave, then stirred in my favorite essential oils. I poured it in the mold (a tiny one) to cool. Then to make a wipes solution I dissolved a soap in some water, and put the solution into a spray bottle. That seems to be more gentle on baby's skin. Oh, and you can add lanolin that way too, just melt it along with the glycerin.

Ok...that paragraph was really long and just came way off the top of my head. Sorry for not editing, lol. :)