October 15, 2008

THEY CAME!!

Remember waaay back in July when I told you about the brand new ESV Study Bible? No? That's okay. Anyway, we placed the pre-order in July and my lovely UPS man delivered them today! It really doesn't take much to get us excited around here. We aren't the only one's who are excited though. People much cooler than us like John Piper, Al Mohler, Mark Driscoll, C.J. Mahaney, J.I. Packer and Tullian Tchividjian are raving that Crossway has really outdone themselves this time and I tend to agree whole heartedly. It is amazing!

The ONLY drawback I can see to this printed treasure is the size. Really this was to be expected considering the enormous number of fantastic study helps contained within it's pages, but it is MAMOTH! It will be a great study tool for home use, but I honestly can't see myself toting it to church on Sunday. While I really really recommend that you all get one, be prepared for the size. In hindsight, Chris and I really probably wouldn't have each needed one since the cumbersome size means they won't likely ever leave the house, but they are terrific nonetheless. If you didn't pre-order and you want one now, it's actually a good thing. While we did get a discount from Crossway, the Westminister book store (one of my favorite sources for books) has an even better deal on them and they are shipping immediately.

Here are some pictures I took with my two other copies of the ESV for reference sake. The top one is my handy dandy pocket Bible that goes out with me. The middle one is a slimline version for at home.

7 comments:

Steph T said...

OK, I SOOOO want that Bible! Hmmm...my birthday is next month and Christmas right after that. I bet I could get one out of Mitch. :) Thanks for the info.

Jawan said...

I've already entered two giveaways for my own copy. My husband, a PCA pastor, is waiting for his to arrive any day now and I bet his nose will be so buried in it that I won't get a peek!

Tanya said...

So, do you need someone to buy your "extra" copy??? :p

Courtney said...

I actually am thinking about selling my extra one. Probably eBay. I haven't opened it yet. We really don't need two. Especially since in buying a hard copy you also get a computer copy and woah... it's cool. You can write notes in it and everything. The only problem is, you can order it cheaper through www.wtsbooks.com than I'd be able to sell it for since we paid more.

Sheri said...

Wow! That is one big Bible!

I haven't been able to comment on hardly anyone’s blogs with a newborn and our little ones. Hee. Hee. I'm sure you can understand! But, I had time last night to read a few of your past posts and wanted to make a comment about "feeling unrepresented" because I have felt the same way - to a point.

I too believe that the American church (including myself from time to time ~ thank you Lord for your awesome forgiveness and grace!) is lukewarm to put it at best. We have lost our way and listen more to the opinions of other than we do to our Heavenly Father and His Word. It is a sick and sad world we live in that continues to go the wrong direction. But as my parents have told me so many times, "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing." And as scripture says, "Knowing the good you ought to do and not doing it is sin."

If my vote can prevent another murder of a baby or protect my right to home school, or help keep our children safe from terrorists, etc. etc. I am not going to withdraw from voting because my ideal candidate isn't representing me. John McCain certainly wasn't Tony and my first choice; or even our second or third choice, but we want to do EVERYTHING we can to keep the most liberal senator in the US government from sitting in the Oval Office.

Ah... I could write for quite sometime on this issue, but need to get off the computer for the day.

Hey, let us know how homeschooling is going sometime! And, I'm praying for that precious baby girl growing inside you!

* Hugs * ~ Sheri

Kristin said...

My dh has the ESV Literary Study Bible that he is using for reading through the Bible in a year. (Our church is doing that together...) This new Study Bible is the one he wants next. I'm thinking Christmas -- hey, Steph, want to order together and save on shipping?? :)

Courtney said...

Steph & Kristin~ Westminister has $4 flat rate shipping.