October 10, 2008

Anyone care for a cookie?


This is what I did Friday afternoon. Aren't they purdy? :) I love cut-out cookies. We make them for every event/season that we have a cookie cutter for. To celebrate the first day of fall we made leaves to share at co-op. This time it was these pumpkin beauties to take to coffee and fellowship on Sunday.

I always always use my grandma's tried and true recipe for both the cookies and the frosting. Once I was in a hurry and needed treats to take somewhere and I cheated. I bought the roll-out dough in a tube. Oh my good heavens. Never again. Yuck. In case you don't have a fabulous cut-out cookie recipe, I'll share mine. It's easy peasy. One word of warning, unless you need a LOT of cookies, cut the recipe in half. Half will get you about 3 dozen depending on how big your cut-outs are. One nice thing about these is that they freeze very well. You could make your Christmas cookies now and freeze them until you need them and they'd still be perfect.

Grandma Donna's Perfect 'Christmas' Cookies

Beat:
2 C sugar
1lb. butter

Add:
1tsp. baking powder
1tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. water
6 1/2 C flour

Mix together and refrigerate for a bit to chill before rolling out on your clean floured surface. Cut any ol' shape you like and bake at 350 for about 12 minutes. Then, the fun part, decorating.

Frosting

3oz cream cheese
6 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp milk
3 C powdered sugar

Mix that all up until it's nice and smooth and creamy then you can use food coloring to make the colors you need. Don't forget the sprinkles. Everything is better with sprinkles. :)

Happy baking!


3 comments:

Tanya said...

Those look so cute! I never make sugar cookies. My poor deprived children have to wait until their Grandma makes them.

Steph T said...

Ohhhhh....this looks like a really good recipe! I'm always up for some frosting with cream cheese in it. :)

Sheri said...

Courtney, I must try that recipe. Sounds yummy! And your cookies are very purdy... hee. hee.