October 12, 2008

Feeling unrepresented.

I don't usually discuss politics here. Well, anywhere for that matter. However, as election day draws near I am feeling more and more conflicted and I have a lot of pent up frustrating. I really don't feel like my party's chosen candidate is a good representation of me as a voter at all. So much so, that I am seriously considering abstaining from voting for president. I've always considered myself a one issue voter. In the past I voted for the candidate who was pro-life and that was that. Lately I'm wondering if that's enough though. If that is the only issue that we agree on should I still vote for that person?

Upon voicing my feelings/frustrations and my thoughts of perhaps not voting, I've heard a common argument. That I simply have to vote, that it's my duty as a Christian. So, I pose the following question to you all, my few loyal readers(I appreciate your thoughts immensely as I wrestle with this issue):

~Is voting a privilege that we as Americans can choose to exercise or abstain from, or is it in fact our duty as Christians?

Perhaps what I'm asking is whether I, as a Christian, am acting in sinful disobedience if I choose not to vote, but rather prayerfully leave the matter in God's hands knowing that He alone is sovereign and will raise up the leader whom He chooses? Even if the one He chooses is not necessarily the one the majority of Christians deem fit.

(Disclaimer: bunny trail ahead as I proceed on a small soapbox rant) :)

On that note, who are we to know the plans God has in store for us? Perhaps, the next four years are to be a time of testing in which American Christians are persecuted at levels we never deemed possible in a country where freedoms abound. For example, there are currently laws in the works that would pretty much make reading certain passages of scripture in a public forum illegal, a hate crime punishable by imprisonment. While yes, God does desire the best for His children, the American church is lazy and apathetic. When I look to the most persecuted nations in the world and see how the church there is passionately on fire, I can't help but wonder why it is we like our comfortable safe little bubble of security so much. Part of me is really starting to look to the attacks of the world on Christians and saying 'bring it on'. I want my church to have that passionate urgency that is prevalent among Chinese Christians. I don't want to be so comfortable anymore. Comfort and lukewarm are to close to the same for my liking.

Okay, I'm bracing myself, let me hear what you all are thinking.

3 comments:

Steph T said...

Ohhh boy...I think I understand your struggles as I have personally wrestled with the same thoughts. I'm *terrible* at debate, mostly since I don't write out my thoughts very well and I don't always accurately back up my statements. I have a lot of "red herring" arguments and a breakdown in logic. :) I struggle when people don't agree with me or ask me to defend my viewpoint (makes me see red, more accurately). But I'll share what I have decided. I have decided I'm still a one issue voter. Deal with the issue of abortion, and then I can focus on other issues. I think I heard the other day that something like 40 babies are aborted every day in Minnesota alone (4,000 in our country). I reported that to Mitch and he said, "That's 2 classrooms worth of children." That thought hit me like a ton of bricks. Imagine the pain and anguish that ONE classroom shooting causes and now think about losing two entire classrooms full of students. Every day. Abortion was brought back to my mind in a fire. I also think it is definitely our duty to vote. The outcome does rest in God's hands. I believe God is completely sovereign over the election, and He will bring about the "change" that He has planned and purposed. So it's very reassuring to me at this point to know that I can fight for the sanctity of life with my vote and leave the rest up to Him. I don't look very much at the other issues, and I feel the same way--the candidate I have chosen doesn't seem to line up well with my beliefs--but one of the next issues on my list of priority is "big government" vs. "small government". I'm disgusted with high taxes and all the silly bailouts where the government is trying to "fix" wall street. Seriously...we are teetering on the edge of socialism and that's a scary place to be. I will vote against it as long as I can, but if God brings it on, then He does. :) And I trust that He will work ALL things out for the good of those who love Him.

Tanya said...

I think if more Christians voted, the elections would probably turn out different (I know of LOTS of Christians who don't vote).

But, the reason I vote is because so many lives were lost fighting for a free nation with the people having the right to be able to vote for it's leaders. I feel like if I don't vote, then I'm just spitting on their graves. But that's just me. Their death also gave us the freedom to not vote if we don't want to......so whatever.

Courtney said...

Thanks for the thoughts thus far. It was rather ironic, but today I received an email from one of my homeschool groups addressing throwing away your vote. This particular argument was made in defense of third party voting. I can't say as I've given third party a lot of thought. Perhaps I'll do a little more research. The article the email linked to is here if you'd like to read it: http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/wasted_vote_101008.html