
Like most kids, mine love pizza. Truth be told, I love pizza. Seems the baby particularly likes pizza. ;) While this is definitely not known as a healthy meal, I have tried to make it as healthy as possible for my family. Okay.. here goes:
Homemade Pizza Crust
1 C Water
2 T Olive Oil
3 C Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 t Sea Salt
1.5 t Active Dry Yeast
Throw all that in your bread machine set to 'dough' or in your Kitchen Aid mixer and let it knead for a while so the gluten can develop. Then allow it to rise, I find that a half hour will suffice. Letting it go longer just makes for a thicker fluffier crust. When your crust has risen to your liking roll it out on your pizza pan. I use a well-seasoned baking stone and cannot recommend them highly enough. It bakes the crust to perfection. I roll my crust using this thing, but you can just spread it by hand or whatever. Next, the sauce. If it's summer and the garden is in full swing I make sauce using this method or if we still have sauce that I've preserved I use that. If not, I resort to this recipe...
Homemade Pizza Sauce
1 small can tomato sauce(8oz)
1 t oregano
1 t basil
1/2 t garlic powder
1/4 t chipotle pepper
I don't use all the sauce on the pizza, my family likes to dip their crusts into the leftover sauce. So spread that on your unbaked crust and then top with all your favorite things. In winter we opt for pineapple and Canadian bacon, but now that our garden is in full swing we go for all veggies. An assortment of peppers, tomatoes, onions plus some store bought mushrooms and black and green olives. Use whatever your family likes. Top all that with shredded cheese, then bake it at 400° for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!
Image borrowed from happy homebaker
5 comments:
Hi Courtney! I saw your blog on the Facebook update and have so enjoyed my first visit!
Your pizza recipe looks delicious and the pictures of your children are so very adorable... congratulations on your newest pregnancy and I hope you start to feel wonderful again soon!
We are expecting our sweet baby #3, in 4 weeks and can hardly wait!
I will be back to visit your blogging home in the future and pray you and your family have a wonderful rest of July!
hmmm sounds good. i will have to try that. My garden is in full swing too. I just pciked sugar snap peas and lettuce yesterday.
I love homemade pizza......yummmmm.....I haven't made it in awhile either. Mostly because I'm lazy.
Wow, what an awesome looking pizza. I make ours homemade as well using a gluten free pizza crust mix. I'm positive it doesn't come close to how yours must taste. I need to get creative and try some crust recipes with gf flours in my bread machine.
We will be starting school soon. What are you ordering from Sonlight? I'm going solo this year and trying to create my own curriculum using a combination of things.
Annette~
I haven't thought a whole lot about school. We'll probably start after Labor Day. Since this is our first year homeschooling, I'm pretty clueless so we're going straight Sonlight. I'm using Core 1 with Readers 2 Int and Singapore Math. Maybe once we get the hang of it I'll feel more confident mixing and matching but this year will be hectic enough having a baby mid year.
Post a Comment