March 27, 2009

The mama needs some cloth too.

I talk about diapers ALL THE TIME it seems. Truth be told, poop takes up a lot of my day. The rest of my day is consumed with nursing. Hence the subject at hand. Six weeks in to this game and the girls are still gushing like stinking waterfalls. I've been using the cheap cotton cloth Gerber nursing pads that you buy in Target and they are NOT cutting it. I have to double them up and even then I'm changing them all the time it seems and leaking out all too often. So... I'm in the market for something better, preferably something made by a WAHM. I wanted to make them myself using some PUL scraps I have leftover from making my pail liner. However, after I got to thinking about it, it's really not worth it because I'd need to buy hemp or bamboo terry and velour and I'd end up with WAY more than I need. Plus add shipping for the fabric on there and yah, it's just not cost effective.

So, the hunt is on. Anyone know where I can get pads that are 1)waterproof, 2)contoured, 3)uber absorbent and 4)comfy. OR, anyone want to use this fantastic pattern to make some that I can buy? :)

5 comments:

Kristin said...

If you want to wait a bit longer for your wet bag I'll make you some nursing pads too. I love mine! And, I just made 6 sets for a friend. I could do at least 4 for you... :) And, yes, I use that fabulous pattern :)

Courtney said...

Really!?!?! Oh, that would be TERRIFIC!!! You just made my day! :)

Steph T said...

And you know...I happen to have kitchen-sized (13-gallon) garbage bags FULL of fabric scraps that will be going on the burn pile soon. (You know, hemp, bamboo, organic cotton, velour, ahem). I should send you pictures from the big cutting fest that Kristin & I had recently...we didn't make a dent in the pile, and we made several sets for ourselves, plus some other "mama cloth" items. Seriously...too many scraps here. Burn pile. Free for shipping. Perhaps a flat rate envelope crammed full of decent sized scraps??? =)

Courtney said...

Oh happy day!! You girls are just spoiling me. ;)
I'll absolutely take an FRE full of scraps. Course I still want some Kristin-made pads, but scraps will give me something to play around with.
Email me your Paypal addy. Woohooo!! :)

Tanya said...

I have a whole bunch of cloth nursing pads that you could borrow.....unless it grosses you out to use someone else's. The only disposable ones that worked for me were the Lansinoh nursing pads. Everything else I tried leaked bad...and stunk. Lansinoh's were great. And they have a little sticker thing on the back that keeps the pad in place.