The cloth diapering is working out really well. It's been almost two weeks now and it didn't take long to figure out what we like and what really doesn't work.
I've already sold off the Blueberry pockets we had. Definitely hatin' the pockets. Especially newborn ones. Once the thing is stuffed, which is a challenge in itself, it's so darn big that the poor babe looks like she's been riding horse too long.
The SposoEasy is my absolute dream diaper. The fit is perfect. She doesn't have a bubble butt under her clothes and they hold amazingly well. Even for a four hour nap. The only downside is that they are rather spendy to buy new and it's very hard to find the XS size on Diaper Swappers.
Since we only have four Sposos and the pockets weren't working I needed something to fill in the gaps. Everything I've read says that prefolds and a cover work great on a newborn so I thought I'd give it a go. It's definitely cheaper than buying more Sposos. So, I got a dozen unbleached prefolds, a Snappi and a handful of covers.
I'm sure it was quite humorous watching Chris and I try to get the thing on a tiny little bum. I've never in my life worked a prefold and he hadn't touched one in over 20 years since changing his little sisters diapers. We got the job done though! I definitely have a ways to go in perfecting a fold that works for us. It's a lot of bulk between her little legs and the newborn BF poo tends to ooze out my poor excuse for rolled gussets so we are going through covers quite quickly. I must say, we have not had any leaks outside the cover though so that's good.
Here are some pictures that should serve to humor those of you who actually know how to use a prefold properly since clearly I don't.
My lame attempt at the Jellyroll fold:
Covered with an XS Bummis Super Brite cover. These seem to be a very good fit.
6 comments:
LOL...I have NO tips...I'm just as handicapped as you are. I pulled out a large prefold the other day and tried pinning it on Malachi. It was hilarious. Then Kristin had Jericho over and I tried an infant prefold on her. We didn't even get to the pins or snappi...I could tell it wasn't going to be perty. :) I have so much yummy bamboo fabric here that I was toying with the idea of making my baby some prefolds from it, and maybe I still will, but then I'm sure I'll have lots of giggles and laughs to look forward too! :) Good luck searching for the "love!"
I think you did a good job. It doesn't really matter what it looks like, just as long as it works. My offer still stands if you want to borrow a bunch of my dipes and covers.
Here is a website that shows a couple different ways to fold them.
http://www.angelfire.com/id/megnkatesplace/folds.html
When I use prefolds, I do my own version of her "Basic Fold".
I should take a look at your stash again, Tanya, since now I know more what we like. Maybe during co-op on Monday??
The fold that I've been using is cross between the basic fold on that site you linked to and this one: http://www.littleturtleknits.com/sidewallpf.htm
I think I want to try fitteds next. They should contain better so I'm not going through covers so fast.
You're gonna think this is crazy, but I used to take care of a baby that had cloth diapers and the mom twisted the diaper between the baby's legs. I guess that cut down on the bulk. So there ya go. :)
I've done that LuAnn. It works quite well.
You're not crazy, mom. I do believe that's a bikini twist. I had tried that one, but the newborn prefolds are pretty short so once you twist them the rise isn't high enough. I'll give it a try when we graduate to yellow edge prefolds though.
Post a Comment