April 2, 2009

On to the next great thing...

Those of you who know me know that I tend to obsess over one thing at a time until I've mastered it then I move on to the next great thing. OBVIOUSLY, my most recent obsession has been diapers. Well, I'm thrilled to tell you(and I'm sure you're thrilled to hear it)... we've reached "stash nirvana" as they say in cloth diaper lingo so I no longer need to think out loud here on the blog. As boring as this is to most of you, I know that when I was contemplating cloth I digested every shred of information I could get my eyes on so hopefully my trials and errors will benefit someone else.
First, I've got to share my small but perfect compilation of diapers then I'll tell you about the next great thing. :) We by no means have 100s of dipes like some of the women I've come to know(on this great site) on my adventure, but we have what works for us... for now. ; ) This is all of it... that's it. Not much to it is there?

One basket contains all the All-in-One's(excluding the one on her bum and one in the diaper pail). 6 XS SpsosEasy AIOs, 6 XS BumGenius AIOs, 2 XS Nana's Bottoms AIOs. This basket also has a squirt bottle of wipes solution(I'm using London Frogg Ribbits right now because I had some free samples-I really like it but will eventually make my own), hand sanitizer and lotion. Also, the waterproof lap pad that I use to change her on. I've never had a changing table so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing, but I like to change diapers on the floor. Eventually you have to anyway because they get too big for the table so may as well do it from the get go.
Another basket holds a dozen GMD orange edge prefolds, 2 XS Bummis Super Brite covers, 2 XS Thirsties covers and a couple Snappis. This basket doesn't get much love. I'm seriously prefold challenged.
Then I have a wipes container that holds a dozen cloth wipes from Picasso Tums. They are sherpa on one side and velour on the other and I love them. I had made some flannel wipes and these are SOOOO much better. I keep my wipes dry and just spray them as I need them.

So, that's that. Now on to the next great thing...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next new(to me)great thing... Babywearing. I've been a semi-babywearer since Audrey was little. That's when I started making pouch-style slings. They are basically Hotsling knock-offs. I use this free tutorial and they work really well especially for that older ride on your hip stage. I could comfortably carry Audrey on my hip until she was probably three or so. Elle hasn't been in a sling a ton, but I do like it for shopping since that darn infant carrier takes up the entire cart basket(don't even get me started on why you should NOT put it on TOP of the shopping cart!). The couple times that we've gone mall shopping it's been terrific. It's ridiculously nice not to have to manuever a stroller between racks. I'd really like to try out some other more versatile carriers. I currently have an Ellaroo wrap on it's way to me. I found a brand new one really cheap on Craigslist. For other babywearing newbies like me, a wrap is essentially a piece of fabric that is about 5yds long. You pretty much wrap yourself and baby in it and tie securely. There are stretchy wraps and woven non-stretch ones. The Ellaroo wraps are woven in Guatamela. A lot of the "name brand" woven wraps are woven in Germany and are uber expensive. It's crazy to me that mamas will pay $150 for 5yds of fabric.
So, are any of you babywearing mamas? What's your favorite way to wear your baby/big kid?

1 comment:

Tanya said...

I've never owned a changing table, either. I have used them at other people's homes and in the church nursery and I think they are terribly awkward. Give me a floor or bed anyday.

I liked to wear my babies while in public places, too. It's much harder for people with nasty germs to try to touch him/her while she is tucked away in the sling as opposed to being in the carseat in the cart.