April 21, 2009

Tightwad Tips

I'm guessing I'm not the only tightwad err.... frugal mama out there. So, I thought it'd be fun to share the love and swap secrets. Here are some things that I do to save money/make money.

Money Making Type Things

~Viewpoint Forum - I have been using this for a long time. It's easy peasy. Periodically, like a couple times a month I get an email with a link to a survey. Answer some simple questions, earn points, points convert to checks that come in the mail. It's not super lucrative. I think I've made maybe $50 in 2yrs(have a $15 check on it's way to me right now!), but it's better than nothing and I'm wierd, I like doing surveys. I actually got to do some product testing through this site for some body wash too. That was fun.
~
Swagbucks - I have no idea why I didn't find out about this sooner, but my friend Tanya recently introduced me and I'm hooked! The Swagbucks site is more or less a Google substitue. Actually, I think it uses Google. Anyway, any search that you would normally do through Google or some other search engine you do through Swagbucks instead. You earn SwagBucks and then you can shop in the Swag store for Amazon gift cards and things like that. If you want to sign up, use my referal code and I'll love you forever. ;)
~YouData - This one is new to me, but from what I understand it's pretty easy. You click on some ads and they automatically deposit money into your Paypal account every Friday. I made $1.50 today in about 20 seconds. Not a lot, but I love having money in my Paypal(cause it's money I can spend without my husband knowing). :D

Money Saving
~Angel Food Ministries - my parents church just started doing this and we are particpating. You buy food from them which you receive monthly. A box of food that will feed a family of four for a week is $30(retail value $65). They also have specific meat/fruit/veggie/seafood boxes and ones specifically for those with food allergies. It's pretty cool. We're very happy with it so far. This was our test month to see how the quality was so we just got the standard box. Next month we're going to try out the fruits and veggies since we won't have any garden produce for a while yet. Many churches are doing this, it's definitely worth seeing if there is one in your area, there are over 5200 nationwide. There are no income guidelines or anything, it's open to one and all.
~Craigslist - I love Craigslist. I've been both a buyer and a seller and it's been great both ways. Most of the stuff I've purchased off Craigslist hasn't been local, most people are more than happy to ship stuff if it's small and you pay postage. I've purchased diapers, clothes, shoes and car seats(only new in box, you should not buy used unless you know the seller and are SURE it's never been crashed).
~Diaper Swappers - If you cloth diaper, this site is a MUST. I'll admit that it took me a while to get over buying used diapers, but now I'm fine with it. I do wash the dipes I buy multiple times in ridiculous hot water to get them good and clean before using. It has saved us a TON of money though. Especially when I was experimenting with different brands and styles. The ones that we didn't like I was able to turn around and resell on Diaper Swappers. Cloth saves money in the long run, but the start up cost is pretty steep so if you can save by buying used then why not?

That's all I can think of right now. So, what are your thrify mama secrets?

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Oh man, I see we both like to do surveys. I am a member of 6 different survey companies including Viewpoint! Ha ha. I've been doing YouData for about 2 months and have made about $15. Pretty nice for doing practically nothing.