March 5, 2009

History making or heart breaking?

It was all over the news in Minnesota yesterday that the first female wrestler competed in the state tournament. Is this a terrific event gaining women some ground towards equality, or has John Piper hit the nail on the head when he said that more accurately it is reliving prehistory?

I'll admit that having grown up in small town Iowa where wrestling is HUGE, I didn't really think much of it when I heard the news blurb. Female wrestlers weren't the norm in my hometown, but they weren't unheard of. Ian had girls in his little wrestlers class and girls wrestled alongside the guys each year in the annual phys ed wrestling unit from Kindergarten-12th grade.

However, reading Piper's blurb on the Desiring God blog really made me think about it differently. So what do you think? Is it really that bad?

5 comments:

Kristin said...

I guess I fall into the same category as you... when you said it, it didn't really faze me. But reading John Piper's response certainly puts it in perspective. He's right. That's all there is to it. And Satan has been able to sit back and have a good laugh at all of us. It's right where he wants us... in this state of mistreating and dishonoring one another. While our society says that women are equal to men, and spends so much time trying to prove it, the Bible tells us otherwise. Do we think that we have come so far that we know better than God??

Sorry... stepping down from my soap-box now. :) Thanks for posting this. I don't watch the news and didn't know a thing about it. And what I said above is only a small piece of what is churning in my mind right now... Maybe I need to blog??

Tanya said...

I think it's stupid. She can wrestle all she wants as long as she wrestles other girls. Most of the other sports are separated into boy teams and girl teams.....this should be, too.

Steph T said...

I didn't know about it either until I read your post. Piper's view is very forward, and I'm once again glad for him bringing the truth out into the open! I just went and pulled it up on Mitch's computer so he could read it. :)

Courtney said...

Tanya, that'd be all fine and good if there were boy/girl teams, but there aren't. Don't know of many high schools with female football teams or male volleyball teams. Even if one did exist, they wouldn't have anyone to compete against, kwim?

I think it comes down to us not properly training our young people. If we were teaching our little girls to be young WOMEN and to embrace their God-given roles would they have the desire to roll around on the floor with a man they don't even know touching them? If boys were taught to be chivalrous protectors and warriors FOR women, would they be okay fighting AGAINST them? Hmm... just my thoughts. :)

Tanya said...

Ya, I thought about that after I responded. But, I still stick to my comment. If that girl wanted to wrestle that bad, then she should be pioneering a girl's wrestling sport. Didn't they do that for hockey? Not sure, but I do know that when I was in high school, girls couldn't play hockey and now there are lots of girl's hockey teams. And when I was in high school, I knew several girls who would have loved to be on a wrestling team.

I told Joel about this and he just shook his head and said, "Those poor guys, what happens when they are wrestling with her and get a hand full of womanhood and then aren't able to hide their excitement? Can't hide much in those little outfits."

....Ahem....