Thought I better check in and let you know that we're still waiting. There's really not much to report. Baby is still moving like crazy and I'm really not having any contractions or excitement to indicate that she'll be here any too soon.
My latest stress.... induction. I do NOT want to be induced! I want to avoid it at absolutely all costs. I was induced with Audrey, but now I'm much more informed and know exactly what all those nasty chemicals do to mama and baby. I'm not willing to go there again. No sir. HOWEVER... my OB has said that he doesn't let women go past 41, maybe 41.5wks. Grr... whatever happened to a "normal" gestation being 38-42wks??? Actually, when I asked how long they'd "let" me go, they were rather surprised since most mamas are begging for him to "just get it OUT!" by this point. I'm really not overly uncomfortable or anything, I could easily go another couple weeks. Well, aside from the calls and comments asking if I'm ever going to have this baby.
So, we're trying all the home induction tricks. I'm drinking red raspberry leaf tea and taking a ridiculous amount of evening primrose oil and doing jumping jacks and sprints up and down the stairs. Well... maybe we're not quite to that point yet. :) I've done everything I've found that doesn't pose a risk though. I was almost going to try castor oil, I even bought it. I chickened out though. It does carry some small risks and I just didn't want to chance it. Ask me again when I'm facing an induction the next morning. I may have changed my tune.
My next appointment is on Tuesday, my due date. If my body is still doing absolutely nothing by then I'm afraid I'm going to get pressured into getting the induction scheduled. I'd appreciate it if you'd pray that something happens "down there" so I at least have a leg to stand on when I beg for just a little more time to let things happen naturally.
6 comments:
Hey there!! I can totally relate...I never want to do any kind of induction again either. :P I read a great article a few months ago and I've been recommending it ever since to people. Here ya go:
http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/birth_preparation/inducing.html Well, I hope my html is right, anyways, I'm not going to take time to look it up. :)
I also always tell people why I don't like the castor oil method. Not only does it cause you to empty your bowels, but it can work its way to the baby, having the same effect: causing her to have a bowel movement while still in utero. That will certainly cause some more drama at the hospital! Not to mention, I read so many stories where it either didn't work beyond making mom miserable or too many stories where there were many other negative side effects (such as a precipitous labor). Then there are those labors where it worked just fine, giving you a sense of security. To me, it ranks up there with hospital induction. :(
(((Hugs))) I hope the doctors don't pressure you too much! I know I have a hard time with it--I trust what they say to me, and always find it soooo hard to stick to my guns when I disagree.
p.s. The end of that very long article looks at some of the natural induction methods and tells you which ones actually really work. ;)
Wow, thanks for that article, Steph! I love Dr.Bradley's fruit on a tree analogy. We learned a lot from his book, Husband Coached Childbirth. We are hoping to implement the Bradley techniques even though we didn't actually take a class.
I've never been a fan of Pitocin, but I had no idea that it is not FDA approved for induction!! Neither is Cytotec, which my doc uses to soften things up. I just don't get it. It seems that they should have to expressly TELL you that and make you sign off saying you know that they aren't supposed to be using it for what they are. grrr....
Your reason for being anti-Castor oil is the same as mine. The thought of giving my little girlie a tummy ache just seems cruel and yes, the drama level at the hospital is sure to increase if the amniotic fluid is found to be meconium stained.
I really liked the Bradley book too. I read it and the one called "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way" which was pretty much just a workbook going over the techniques (relaxation, etc). I read it during my last pg, and it was my first pg that was all natural. It went great! I practiced relaxing all throughout my pg. Once we got settled at the hospital and I knew I was already at a 7, I spent most of my time in the side-lying position and doing my relaxation, deep sleep breathing, etc. The nurses were all bragging how I looked like I was asleep. :) The only problem I had was I didn't feel as good as he made it sound afterwards, lol. Made me a little ticked with him. :) I'm sure that it had *something* to do with the fact that I was losing too much blood and had to be put on pitocin at that point. Oh, and the fact that I thought I was doing so good during pushing (in spite of the pain) and my doc said, "Ok, now push the OTHER shoulder out." I was like, "What?! It's baby #6, he's supposed to just shoot out!!" LOL I'll be prepared this time.
Do you want me to go with you to your next appt and help you stand strong against induction? ;)
Did you ask him if he will induce without cytotec....like just break your water? Your membranes could very well be strippable by Tuesday, too.
Bottom line though, you don't have to go in to be induced if you don't want to.
Hugs!!!
Oh, heaven help him. He wouldn't stand a chance with BOTH of us telling him no, Tanya. LOL!
Yes, he said if I can get to 3-4cm on my own he could just break my water and not need to use any drugs. The problem seems to be getting to 3-4.
I'm REALLY hoping that I am strippable on Tuesday. I don't anticipate it jump starting labor, but it'll at least release some more prostaglandins and open things up.
We shall see. She can't stay in there forever!
Post a Comment