February 23, 2009

Having to adjust

We're nine days into this new baby business and finding that there are a lot of adjustments needing to be made. Here are some of our challenges, if you've got suggestions/solutions that'd be super fantastic....

~As much of a homebody as I am, I am also the type to get up and go at the drop of a hat. Well, when it's the middle of winter and you have a seriously tiny baby you just can't do that. I am craving a trip to Target like you wouldn't believe. I don't need a darn thing, but just knowing that we can't jump in the car and go makes me want to that much more.

~Audrey. She is constantly touching Elle. She wants to hold her all the time and get in her face and give her kisses and just generally pester her. I know it's because she's new and she loves her but I'm hoping it wears off soon.

~Rough housing. Wrestling has never been allowed in the living room, but it's even more crucial now and the olders just don't seem to get it. I can't even leave the room for a second without taking Elle for fear what'll happen. The other day I walked in the room to find them rolling around on the floor, feet flailing within inches of her head.

~Showering. I know I've ranted about our million year old house before, so this shouldn't come as too much of a surprise but we have to shower in the basement. There is a bathroom upstairs, but it just has a tub. The thing is, I don't trust the olders (see above) to be left alone with baby and I'm not crazy about taking a tiny baby down to a cold drafty basement with me to shower. The temporary solution has been to wait for Chris to come in for lunch, but I think we sufficiently covered my dislike for dirty hair in a previous post. Plus, eventually we're going to need to leave the house before noon.

~Outerwear. I did not expect to have a preemie sized newborn. They don't make outerwear for babies that size. The fleece snowsuit I have for her could seriously hold 3 of her. I'm at a loss as what to do aside from staying home until a)spring b)she grows.

So as not to sound like a complete pessimist, we are all crazy nuts about our new little girl. She's positively adorable and has quite the personality. I'm starting to see behavior patterns develop and she's settling into a semi-routine. My favorite part of said routine.... she is very much in favor of the mama's habit of sleeping in until 8-9am. :) Thank goodness for self-sufficient kiddos who get their own cereal and play quietly.

Just 'cause she's cute, here's a picture. :) This is at 1wk old.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Do you have a baby bouncer? I have one that is a glider....you could borrow it if you like.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4241548

You could buckle her into it and put her up on the table while you do your kitchen work.....and you could put her in it and bring her to the bathroom with you while you shower. I got this glider thing as a gift when Isabel was born, and frankly, I don't know what I ever did without it. She lived in that thing for the first few months, safe from her siblings. I also have a Maya Wrap that you could borrow. That would keep her safely away from the older two wrestlers.

I didn't have a snowsuit for my babies, either. I just dressed them in a warm outfit, put a hat on them, put them in their carseat, wrapped a blanket around them, and had one of those carseat covers.....it's super warm. You could borrow that if you like, too. Then you could bring the older two over here while you and Elle go to Target. :)

Courtney said...

Yup, we have a bouncer. That's what she's in most of the time. It may be time to get out the swing though so she's further off the floor(and away from running children/flailing feet).

I'd love to try your Maya wrap!!! I do have a sling, but haven't used it yet. The pesky thing with a sling is that you still kind of need to keep a hand on the babe. A wrap would be great.

The problem with the snowsuit/carseat is that to get all three kids in the car, we can't use the infant bucket so it really complicates things.

Tanya said...

Can you put her bouncer on the table or up off of the floor? Then the flailing feet won't be an issue.

It took about a month to have my two spaz children trained enough to be calm around Isabel.

Oh ya, I forgot that you have the other kind of carseat. I'll have to go look at my carseat cover thing, because it's not really a cover - it's something that goes around the baby and has holes in the back for the carseat straps. Then you could drive to Target and put her in the Maya Wrap under your coat. That's what I did with my winter babies. I had the bucket baby carseat, but I still took the baby out and carried him/her when I got out of the car. Why lug that huge annoying carseat around?

I have a couple different carriers that you could look at.....