August 28, 2011
Zucchini Crust "Pizza" Recipe
One of my fellow farmer's market vendors was telling me about the zucchini crust pizza he makes, so I had to give it a try. I'm still undecided about it. It looks amazing, and it tastes amazing, but it's the texture that I take issue with. I think if I hadn't had it in my mind that it was pizza I would have given it a big thumbs up. The fact of the matter is, the crust is much too soft to be called pizza, in my opinion. Maybe that was cook's error, though. I got a bit over-zealous and didn't allow it to bake long enough to get crispy. Anyway, enough of the chatter, here's how I made the pizza pictured...
Zucchini Pizza Crust
3 1/2 C grated zucchini
1/3 C whole wheat flour
3 eggs, beaten
2/3 C grated Parmesan
Basil, about 2T fresh chopped or 2t dried
Sea salt
Lightly salt the shredded zucchini and allow it to sit for 10-15min. The salt will draw out the water. Then, squeeze out as much water as possible. Roll the zucchini up in a towel and twist to get it as dry as you can. Once that's done, mix it in with the rest of the ingredients. Spread onto a baking sheet and bake at 350 until dry and lightly browned. I did 20 minutes, but should have gone longer.
Remove from oven and top as desired. I topped mine with the following:
Homemade pizza sauce(recipe coming soon!)
About 1/2lb of cooked ground beef
Fresh picked whole basil leaves
Fresh picked tomato, sliced
Fresh picked green bell pepper, chopped
Shredded raw white cheddar
Once you have it all decorated, pop it back in the oven for about 20 minutes until the cheese starts to brown. Slice and enjoy! :)
Also be sure to try my chocolate zucchini cake recipe! My friend Christy's cheesy zucchini bake looks pretty tasty too! What's your favorite way to enjoy zucchini?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
This looks delicious! I am obsessed with Zucchini right now, so I will for sure be trying this! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment