August 20, 2009

He says it's the best thing he's ever had... ever.


We were the recipients of a very popular gift in the Midwest this time of year... zucchini. Previously, we'd tried it cooked in olive oil and served with pasta, marinara and parmesean... YUMM-O. I didn't really want to do that this time though so I got to searching for recipes. I came across a number of really delicious looking ones that I was missing an ingredient or two so I just kind of combined several and this is what came out...

CAKE:
2.5 C whole wheat flour (I'm sure that white flour would work fine)
1/2 C cocoa (I used dark because it's what I have on hand)
2.5 t baking powder
1.5 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon
Mix all of the above together, set aside.
3/4 C butter, softened
2 C sucanat(aka evaporated cane sugar)
Combine butter and sugar.
3 eggs
2 t vanilla
Add eggs(1 at a time) and vanilla to the butter mixture.
1/2 C milk
Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet alternately adding milk.
2 C shredded zucchini
Stir in the zucchini
Then, because I'm a rebel I threw a handful of chocolate chips in for good measure. :)

Pour into a greased tube pan and bake at 350 for about 50min. Start checking for doneness with a toothpick at 45min.
Cool for 15min in the pan then turn onto a wire rack and cool completely(or not.. my family wasn't about to wait that long)

GLAZE:
2 C powdered sucanat(a quick go around in the coffee grinder makes beautiful powdered sucanat)
3 T milk
1t vanilla

Drizzle glaze over cake, slice and enjoy with a big glass of milk. Mmmm......

Now, if you're like me and you don't have a lot of experience with zucchini, you can shred the WHOLE thing, peel and all. From what I read, if you have a monster like we did(...it was bigger than Elle... really)then you're going to want to cut it to a manageable size, slice it the long way and scoop out the seeds. Smaller ones don't have such a large amount of seeds apparently.

1 comment:

Summer said...

hi my name is summer and id like to let you know that i have also had a cake recipe like the one you posted and ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! yes it is to die for ..... very very very moist isn't it ..... also i enjoyed reading and browsing your blog as i am a new (verynew)blogger still yet trying to figure it all out ..... especially how to get the playlist transferred to my blog spot well at any rate i will close with the scripture from Romans 11:33...let me know what you think take care & have a great friday,summer