We officially started back to full-time school today! Much of our time was spent organizing our materials, hanging a new whiteboard, and labeling notebooks. We did make time for some important subjects also; math, language, reading. Tomorrow we'll aim to be more productive. I had high hopes of Audrey sitting in on history, science, and geography. I'm having my doubts now though. After about 15 minutes of really good work on her part she asked, completely out of the blue, "Can I go play with my cats now?" Umm.. no. We may need to work up to full days with her. If I can keep her focused for an hour and a half I'll be pleased at this point.
I wanted to share with you what we'll be using this year. As I was taking a picture of all the books, Ian decided that I need them in there too. So, here's Ian on his first day of 3rd grade, Audrey on her first day of Kindergarten, and most of the stuff we'll be using(a few things didn't make the stack for whatever reason). I'm looking forward to all the curriculum we've chosen!
Ian - 3rd Grade
Language/Grammar: First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind
Penmanship: Reason for Handwriting Transition
Literature/Reading: 1000 Good Books List/SOTW Reading List/A Child's Geography Reading List/whatever looks good :)
Spelling: All About Spelling
Math: Singapore Math
Both kids together(mostly Ian-hopefully Audrey will join in)
Latin: Song School Latin - On hold for now(1/2010)
History: The Story of the World: Ancient Times
Science: Apologia-Exploring Creation w/Zoology - Switched to Elemental Science(1/2010)
Audrey - Kindergarten
Language/Grammar: Ordinary Parent’s Guide to Teaching Reading (we started this summer and it's going great!)
Penmanship: Reason for Handwriting K
Math: Singapore Math KA/KB
I did a LOT of research and was able to get some really great deals on the things I wanted shopping sales and eBay. ALL of our books for this year totaled $330.00 for two kids. Even when you add the $210 we'll pay in co-op fees we are still at about half the national average which is $500/home schooled student/year. Yay for frugal schooling!! :)
We're back to the kitchen table this year. We have a school room, but it's upstairs and really just not practical. It's SO much easier being on the main level where I can work in the kitchen, baby can play, etc.
5 comments:
It sounds like you have a great year planned. We had to work my daughter up to "full days" last year as well. A "full day" was about 2 or 2.5 hours. She's much better at sitting this year, and now we are working my middle child up to a few hours :)
Shellie
Looks great!!!!
Yah! Happy "back to school!" And, I REALLY LIKE "A Child's Geography" too! We started it yesterday!
Congratulations! Isn't it great to be flexible and modify your plans where needed? We do so much modification around here. :)
I got into a debate on facebook one day with a lady who said we need to give more money to the public schools so kids can learn more. I wanted to drop kick her. We already give the schools a ton of money and they don't even use it wisely. She said we should pay teachers because they are worth the extra pay. So I told her if good teachers deserve better pay, I'd like my share. Somehow I manage to school 2 kids and manage a toddler all under $600. How does that even happen? I think our district gets something like $5500 per child. That is just plain crazy. I can't imagine what I would do with $5500 per child a year!
Post a Comment