August 29, 2010

School Time!!

We have just over one week until the school year officially starts here in Minnesota. I have been busy getting all of our books and supplies in order, signing the kids up for co-op, and looking into some fun field trips. I always enjoy seeing what others are using for curriculum, so I thought I'd share what we are using. It really isn't a whole lot different from last year's list, but as we continue on this homeschool journey I am learning to streamline things and that sometimes less is more. When I try to cram too much in, then it just leads to frustration over not actually getting to it. Sure, it'd be great to do a foreign language and all kinds of other things while Ian and Audrey's minds are little sponges, but in reality it's not necessary at this time. So, here's what we're going with:

Both kids together
  • Story of the World - I've decided to make things easier and buy the audio book and student pages this year. That way I am not spending so much time reading each day's section out loud and photocopying the activity sheets.
  • Elemental Science - We just started this towards the end of the last school year. So far it's going well. The human body study we will be doing should mesh nicely with the science they will be doing as part of their weekly co-op.
  • Dance Mat Typing - A free online interactive typing program. I'm disappointed that handwriting is a thing of the past being replaced by keyboarding classes for younger and younger students. When I was in school, we didn't even touch a computer until 4th grade. After we had mastered cursive writing. Sadly, cursive is now going extinct. I aim to make sure that doesn't happen in my home, but I also realize that keyboarding skills are important.
Audrey - 1st Grade


Ian - 4th Grade (4th grade?! Can you believe that?! My goodness, how time flies.)

    Additionally, both kids will be doing lots of fun stuff with their weekly co-op group this year including Nature Notebooking. I think they are going to love that.

    Before we get going, we get to enjoy one last getaway. We'll be heading up north later this week and from how it sounds the weather is going to be great!

    1 comment:

    Tanya said...

    I just love gearing up for the school year. Nature Notebooking IS a lot of fun. We did it until we moved into our yardless house.
    Looks like you have a very well-balanced school year planned out!