September 11, 2010

Nourishing our Children


This morning we had the opportunity to watch the Nourishing our Children presentation put on by our local chapters of the Weston Price Foundation and the Sustainable Farming Association. It was very good and there was quite a good turn out. Much of the information wasn't new, but I came away with a new resolve to be more proactive with meal planning and taking the time to soak grains and keep on supplying my family with all the raw dairy they want. The latter isn't too difficult, we are definitely dairy lovers around here and easily go through 5lbs or more of yummy raw cheddar each month along with several gallons of local grass fed organic raw milk each week. Yumm-O! The soaking takes planning and forethought that I have been sorely neglecting this summer. I'm hopeful that with the start of school and a return to routine things will go much better. I'm also seeing the importance of adding cod liver oil to our diets, especially since we eat very very little seafood. I'm not sure where to find the fermented oil though. From what I've read it's better.

As always, Chris had a great time connecting with people at the meeting and enjoyed chatting with fellow members of the SFA. He really hopes to turn our organic gardening hobby into more of a business in the future. We shall see!

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Ever since I was convinced of the benefits of soaking, I have been slowly soaking different foods. Homemade tortillas, muffins, breads, etc. My next goal is to soak things that we consume during our meals (like rice) instead of just soaking grains for baking. Phew.....baby steps, right?
How has your garden been doing with all this cold weather and rain?