August 23, 2010

How our garden does grow

It's really been a very good year here in terms of weather and rainfall to make for a wonderful garden.
The only thing that hasn't done well are our peppers. They were initially planted too close to the watermelons which tend to be moisture hogs so they weren't able to fill out as they should have. Chris did move them, but we still haven't had many peppers.

The big bare spot you see is where our peas lived. Since they are done for the season, Chris ripped them out.
One of the things we have had zero success with is blueberries. This is the third year since we planted them and we STILL have not seen any blueberries. We've done everything right in terms of changing the soil pH around the plants to ensure it's acidic enough, but they just don't produce. Maybe next year, right?


I'm shocked that it's only mid-August and we already have pumpkins turning orange! I was worried that I wouldn't have them in time to decorate for fall since they got planted a bit later than they should have. Apparently I had no reason at all to worry!!

Each day brings with it a new abundance of produce. I can easily pick about the amount of food below every other day. It's crazy. The ugly tomatoes are called German Pink. They are quite unsightly, but they are tomatoes all the same. The little berries are called sunberries. We have a ton of them and they aren't even all that great. :( I've read that you can use them in recipes just like blueberries, but haven't tried anything yet. I've just been freezing them for now. We also still have green beans, but I had just picked and served them for supper so they aren't in the picture.


How does YOUR garden grow? Have you been busy canning, freezing, and pickling?

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Looks great guys!!! I was planning on freezing and pickling.....but we are eating everything too fast. I should be able to get some stuff in the freezer, though.