{sit tight, soapbox moment...} When we first made the decision to eat only real food and to buy organic as much as financially possible, milk was one of our top priorities. I believe strongly that good quality dairy is really good for you. Imagine my frustration when I stood in the organic dairy section at the supermarket and saw row upon row of ridiculously over-priced organic milk all of which boasted that it had been Ultra-Pasteurized. Folks, that's not something to brag about!
Rather than regurgitating a whole bunch of info on why Horizon, Organic Valley, and so many others are doing their customers a great disservice, I'm just going to send you over to Food Renegade where you can read it all for yourself.
Living where I live, there are two very good options in terms of milk. I had to hunt forever to find them, but they are there. The first is raw milk. In many states the sale of raw milk is strictly forbidden. Here in Minnesota, it is perfectly legal to buy raw milk directly from a farmer. Our family is in the process of doing just that.

If you just aren't ready to make the raw milk plunge, Hy-Vee stores have a wonderful alternative. They have partnered with Kalona Dairy, an Iowa based group of Amish and Mennonite farmers, to private label delicious VAT pasteurized un-homogenized milk. VAT pasteurization agitates the milk at a mere 145 degrees preserving as much of the vital nutrients as possible. Guess what the icing on the cake is?? The Hy-Vee milk is 25% cheaper than all the brand name ultra-pasteurized counterparts. I'm not seeing any cons here.
All this talk of milk is making me thirsty.
2 comments:
Thanks for the heads-up. I don't shop HyVee usually, so when spring ever comes to central Iowa I'll have to make a sidetrip to HyVee. :-)
We enjoy a similar non-homogenized, vat-pasteurized milk from Picket Fence Creamery, which is near Woodward. Y.U.M. They process on-farm, let you pet the calves -- so fun.
Until my DH is ready to buy a couple dairy heifers of our own...
@Melanie - How fun that you get to see where your milk comes from. It's too easy now days to think of milk as coming from a milk jug. I'd never heard of Picket Fence. They look like a terrific company!
Post a Comment