February 24, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things

I've been wanting to share with you some of the products that we use and love. I decided after using my first product listed for the umpteenth time today that today was the day. Without further ado...

The nasal aspirator. Anyone who has ever had a child is all too familiar with the blue sucky thing they send you home from the hospital with. It was the only kind of nose sucker I was aware of until my friend Quincey literally changed our lives a few months ago. She recommended I try the Graco NasalClear Aspiratorbattery powered nose sucker when Elle had a cold. Holy boogies, does it work!! I can't say that Elle necessarily likes it any better than the blue bulb syringe, but it sure is easier, there's no snot flying everywhere, and you can clean it and see that it's clean. We got ours at a big box store for the same price it is on Amazonbecause we needed it right now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The next item has also been receiving frequent use. For a while now, I have feared the inevitable onset of nasty poop since Elle is eating more and more solid food. Well, promptly on her first birthday, Elle decided that she would graduate into peanut butter poo. Ewww.... I know that some cloth diaperers like the liner things that you can flush in the toilet. I cloth diaper so I don't have to buy consumable stuff like liners. Also, with our septic, there is no way Chris would let me be flushing those. Knowing the time was drawing near I began my search for a diaper sprayer.
Basically, a sprayer eliminates the whole dunking diapers in the toilet bit. I was SO not going to be doing that, thank you very much. It's a high powered kitchen sink type sprayer that attaches to your toilet. You take the dirty diaper to the potty, hold it over the bowl, and spray away. It works like a dream and without it I can nearly guarantee that I would have promptly given up cloth and I really like cloth.


When I knew I wanted a sprayer I began the search for the best, most economical one. What I found is that they are all about the same except for the price. Prices vary anywhere from $18-45. Well, I sure wasn't going to spend $45! I liked the Sigma sprayer and I liked that the people at Sigma Products had quickly responded to an email of questions I sent so I decided that was the way to go. I was delighted to find that Sigma has an eBay store in addition to their regular site. The products are a TON cheaper on eBay, I won mine for $18.95 with free shipping. It arrived promptly, installed easily, and works great!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A while back, I knew that we needed new cookware. Ours was Teflon coated and had been chipping and peeling. Even the expensive Calphalon pieces that are supposed to be so great. After much research and Autumn's recomendation I decided on waterless cookware. I'm not going to go into what waterless cooking is, you can read about that here if you'd like. In a nutshell, it's supposed to be a healthier way to cook. I like that the cookware is stainless steel, nothing to chip off or slowly kill my family, and carries a lifetime warranty. I never want to have to buy another set of cookware ever again. I'm hopeful that with this I won't have to.


There are a number of brands and manufacturers of waterless cookware, but they really all look to be about the same. After some research I found that most of the brands are even made by the same company, they are just marketed differently. Waterless cookware is something you really need to shop around for. I purchased this setbecause it had all the pieces that I thought we would need and because it has such great reviews. By shopping around I was able to get the entire 17pc set for $160 shipped. I thought that was a great deal, no more expensive than a set from WalMart would cost and it would need to be replaced every few years.

We've been using our cookware for a while now and I LOVE it! It cooks raw vegetables with no water at lightning speed. Faster than I could previously have done them in my Pampered Chef micro-cooker and a ton healthier since the microwave isn't killing all the good stuff. I do still have this non-stick panthat I use for eggs and things since I haven't mastered those without sticking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stay tuned later in the week for another product that I'd like to share with you from one of my favorite companies, Tropical Traditions!


8 comments:

melanie said...

Just a quick thought for you since I'm not supposed to be here in blogdom on a Wednesday late afternoon... ;-)

We, too, made the switch to nice stainless steel cookware a while back (WISH I could say we spent less than $200 -- wow!)
ANYhoo, wanted to tell you we cook our eggs in a cast iron pan instead of the old non-stick. You have to get the pan seasoned, then heat it before you grease it again (coc.oil is yummm), then add the eggs... and don't scramble if you don't have to. Clean up with water only as needed, and re-oil.

Your other products look extremely interesting! I will pass it along to my friends with little ones. =)

Tanya said...

I was just going to tell you that cast iron works great for eggs.....but Melanie beat me to it. :) I have regular stainless steel pans and if I'm going to fry an egg in them, the pan has to be SUPER hot and slathered in butter/oil before I add the egg. Then it doesn't stick.

Jessa said...

Thanks for the diaper sprayer info. We used a "diaper duck" with Jonah's diapers, and I'm looking for anything this time around that will make life easier. (Well, you know, "anything" within reason. I'm not talking Hamburger Helper dinners! haha)

Anonymous said...

This nasal aspirator stopped working after the first time I used it. My 9 month old has severe seasonal allergies and could not breathe through his nose at night because his nose was so stopped up. A manual nasal bulb was not strong enough and he would scream when he saw it coming towards him. I thought this would be a little easier for him. I paid extra shipping to get it here quickly. It did get the mess out of his nose but it was very hard to clean and the motor stopped working after that first use. We couldn't return it because my husband had thrown away the original packaging. This purchase was $30 down the drain.

Autumn said...

I'm so glad you like your waterless cookware!

Courtney said...

Thanks for the cast iron suggestion, girls! The only casts iron we have is a fajita skillet, but it sounds like I may need to get a cast iron skillet for eggs as well. Although we do only do scrambled. Will that not work??

@corrine - I actually think that it's super easy to clean. Hmm... I did read some reviews from people who said it stopped working after the first use. I don't even really see how that's possible. The part you clean is a completely separate attachment from the motor so I don't know how you could do anything to make it stop working if you put it back together correctly. I'm sorry that it didn't work for you. :( I hope you were able to figure something out to help your little guy!

Steph T said...

You can definitely do your scrambled eggs in a cast iron skillet! I always make sure mine is well seasoned with oil, then preheat it. I'm getting good enough at it now that it's just as easy to clean as a non-stick pan is. :)

A Slightly Better Wife said...

I'm a little behind on reading blogs- I'm soooo glad you love the nose sucker! If ours ever goes out, I know we'll replace it with exactly the same thing.
I've been looking for new cookware, mine is 2 years old and already chipping :-( I book marked the set you ordered & will look into it more. We should've done the diaper sprayer.. next time around it's a must! Esp. if we can get one so inexpensive! Thanks for posting about the products you like! Your blog is so fun to read!