February 8, 2010

A healthy{er} cupcake, you say??


I've been trying out and tweaking various "healthy" chocolate cake recipes in preparation for a certain first birthday extravaganza next week. The plan for this particular batch was to allow our homeschool co-op friends to be the guinea pigs today. Unfortunately, we are in the midst of a snowstorm and co-op was canceled. Chris and the kids were more than happy to sample and critique these beauties. Chris declared them the best cupcakes/cake I'd made since we began our real food adventure about a year ago. Don't get me wrong, these don't taste like a box cake, but they are pretty good. I did not have any whole wheat pastry flour on hand, so I just used regular whole wheat. For the big day, I'm going to use a finer ground pastry flour which I think will make for a more box cake-like texture.

I still haven't found a frosting recipe I like. Good ol' fashioned butter, cream, and powdered sugar is what I used on these, but I wasn't crazy about using powdered sugar. Anyone know of a healthier frosting option?

Without further ado, the recipe. If you try it, let me know what you think!

Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes

1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
1 C sucanat
2 eggs
2 t vanilla
1 C kefir (you can use buttermilk or plain thin yogurt if you don't have kefir)
1/2 C sour cream
2 T strongly brewed coffee
1 3/4 C whole wheat flour (pastry flour will likely work best)
1 C good cocoa powder
1 1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter and sugar on high for five minutes until light and fluffy. Lower the speed and add eggs one at a time, then vanilla. Mix well for a couple more minutes.

In a separate bowl, whisk kefir, sour cream, and coffee.

In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.

With mixer on low alternately add dry and wet ingredients. Mix only until blended.

Pour into cupcake liners and bake 20 minutes or until tops spring back when you poke them. Makes about 2 dozen cupcakes.

Aren't they purdy? Enjoy with a big glass of milk. Mmm... :)

2 comments:

Teya said...

Here are a couple of recipes for healthy(er) frosting:

Powdered Milk Frosting
1/2 C butter, softened
1/4 C honey
2-3 Tbl milk
1 Tbl vanilla, almond or lemon extract
2/3 to 1 c instant dry milk powder

Cream butter and honey. Beat in milk and vanilla. Add powder. Beat until light and fluffy. Adjust amounts of milk and dry milk for desired consistency.


Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 C butter, softened
2-4 Tbl honey
1 teas vanilla
1/2 C chopped pecans

Beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in honey to taste. Mix in vanilla and pecans.

Tanya said...

Woops.....Teya was signed in. That last comment was from me, not her. :P