November 16, 2009

What are YOU planning on giving your children for Christmas this year?


I'm in a pickle. I don't have much of a clue as to what to give my children. They don't need much of anything at all. They are too blessed in the toy and clothing departments. We certainly don't need any more of either. I hate buying them stuff simply for the sake of buying it, you know? Besides, I don't want Christmas in our home to be all about stuff. I want it to be about JESUS. So... what are you or aren't you giving your own little hoodlums for Christmas this year?

5 comments:

Kristin said...

No definite plans yet, but we are seriously considering a "family gift". Something along the lines of a year membership to the Science Museum or the MN Zoo. It's the "gift that keeps on giving" without taking up space in my house! ")

Steph T said...

Awww...Rats! Last year I got ideas from YOUR blog. :)

Well, we are going to the Waterpark of America on Christmas Eve, so that's kind of a big gift (that cost around $126 for all 9 + baby).

I joked that we need to give Patrick a gift certificate to Applebee's. Every Sunday after youth group a bunch of kids go there (and get a discount) to hang out. But he rarely orders anything. What I would REALLY love to get him is a parallel Bible that has German and English (ESV). It costs $50 though.

I hear ya on buying more toys. We may buy them a couple Wii games. Micah may get a couple more pair of blue jeans in his really awkward size (26 x 30). The oldest 3 need new jammies (the youngest 4 can definitely do without--hand-me-downs are overrunning us). We will stuff stockings with favorite candy treats.

We might also follow in Kristin's footsteps and get a membership to the Science Museum (we get an incredible rate with WIC).

We also want to be able to just spend time with family. I know that Patrick would love to spend more time with our extended family. I'm sort of sad that our extended family doesn't work hard at connecting. I hope we will have game days and baked goods and just fun fellowship, no matter WHO makes up our "extended family"!!

Tanya said...

Batteries.

Autumn said...

Let's see... both of my kids are getting books & Go Fish cds. Eli is getting new bedding. I haven't done too much shopping beyond that yet, but my ideas include art supplies, games, and a few toys. For toys it will mostly be things to go with toys he already has. Like he has 30 Hot Wheels type cars, but no track or anything. And he has play dough, but no tools or cookie cutters for it. I'm a little stumped with Lena. Probably girly toys! Oh, and they're both getting socks and slippers!

Tanya said...

Ok, just so everyone knows....I was joking about the batteries. (Although they did get some extra batteries one year and they got just as excited about them as they did the rest of their gifts.)

Ever since we started to have a family game night every week, the favorite gifts around here have been board games. Just another thought.