I don't *think* there are any men who read my blog, but if you're a guy and you're reading now, just stop. Now. Really, I've warned you.
Okay... this is going to be one those way too much information kind of posts, but it's just us girls so here goes...
I felt compelled to pass along a blog post I read today regarding monthly "punctuation" supplies. Stop now and go read it and then come back, please.
Did you read it? I'll admit my jaw dropped when I read it, but honestly I'm not surprised in the least. It seems rather immoral for companies to deliberately make us miserable, but if it sells more products what do they care? I haven't had a grammar lesson in nearly 18 months (woohoo!) but I know it's inevitable. I hadn't given it a lot of thought, but since Elle uses I cloth I had a fleeting thought that I may as well. I'll admit, it grosses me out. More than baby poo. I don't know why, it just does. I'm willing to give it a try... maybe. Frankly, I'm not thrilled about the whole diaper feeling. I've never been a pad girl. My mom had me use them when I first started, but after a short while I switched to "little white mice", as my dad called them, and have never looked back. So, these thingies may be more up my alley. I've read a LOT of rave reviews and they sure would save a ton of money in the long run. It still has a major ewww factor for me.
So, what are your thoughts? Don't worry, it's just us girls. Feel free to tell all. Have you tried one or both? Will you consider switching over from commercial products after reading this?
13 comments:
The "thingy" to which you refer arrived in my house a few years ago. Funny thing... I've only had less than 1/2 dozen opportunities to use it, but when I have, I felt it worked well. And, I noticed that my "punctuation" tended to be more abbreviated. [inserting funny story: here's one of the definitions I found for the word abbreviation --
A shortened form of an expression, usually followed by a period. Dr. is a standard abbreviation for Doctor; MA is a standard abbreviation for Massachusetts.
Ironic?? LOL]
Anyway, I'm also going on 18 months with no grammar lessons and when the next one comes around the thingy will certainly be called into service.
And I'm going to tattle on a mutual friend... When I found my thingy there was a better deal if you got 2. Said friend was the recipient of the other 1/2 of the package. And since she's actually had grammar lessons for the last few months, she might have more input on the topic of punctuation and other thingies.
And for the record? I'm also a hater of pads, but cloth is so nice... :)
And in case you hadn't heard, there's a whole new breed of little white mice out there too...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=82588.0;topicseen
SOOOO glad Kristin posted the cotton tampons link. Giggle.
Well, I am not so fortunate as you ladies, and I have been receiving grammar lessons for a few months now in spite of my exclusively bf'ing baby (I'm the mutual friend Kristin is tattling on). Unlike Michelle Duggar, however, my fertility does not return. Just the yucky part. And I have not posted these {bloody} details on facebook, but that is a significant factor in Tirzah's fussiness lately--the hormonal changes associated with a normal cycle have thus affected my milk supply. I'm ready to put my head through the wall!!!
Ok, but anyways, I make my own pads (surprised??) and like Kristin said, they are so nice. I can't believe I didn't show you when you were here! I have a cute (long) little cup (the diva is long) and I will say that it comes with a (long) learning curve. It does not appear to be like riding a bike for me and every time that is the first time after a long time, I seem to have to learn my lesson over again as if for the first time ever. (did I lose you?). You won't believe me, but I found a very helpful youtube video this time with a good lesson explaining how the geography down there is a little like the geography of St. Cloud, and it finally helped me get going in the right direction. I can email you the link. ;) Finally on day 3 I am loving mine again. Whew. Confession is so good for the soul.
Ok, so I recommend cloth and the cup for lots of good reasons. But I will not say that my period is shorter or lighter. Actually I already enjoyed wonderfully normal and decent cycles before. I am not sure what is going on with my body, but this particular cycle has been particularly hard. It has been heavier than ever (second only to childbirth) and I've actually had cramps (which is very rare). Still, I would think that most women would find it tolerable and say that I shouldn't complain. In doing research this week I have discovered that cycles while breastfeeding will be irregular and at times heavy. Sigh. Yeah, a sympathy card would be nice. :)
I am thinking about putting my pad pattern online for free, along with a video tutorial sewing instructions. I feel like I've really got a good thing going with it. Just have no time!! :)
I have used cloth pads and the diva for a couple of years. Ever since I made the switch, my periods have gotten shorter and lighter and I barely have any cramps. What an improvement! So, for me personally, there is something to the idea that women in general are "allergic" to the junk they put in the disposable feminine products.
I never wore disposable pads, either, Courtney. Hated them. But if you are going to make the switch, I encourage you to also try cloth pads. They are SO different than disposable. And if your cycle gets lighter, then it's not so nasty.
I know a lady whose hubby works in a factory that makes the absorbent stuff that goes into diapers, pads and tampons and they have to wear special chemical suits so that they don't get that stuff on themselves. UMMMM, then we stick it on our babys' bottoms and up our who-haas. Ugh. There is something very wrong with that picture.
I have several pad patterns and plan on making a few more for myself.
Feel free to ask me about this anytime.....I'll even show you my stash if you can handle it. LOL.
Hi, I found your blog via the North Iowa SAHM meetup site!
Anyway, I used the Diva Cup (size one) before I had a baby. I LOVED it. It totally dispelled any fears of Toxic Shock Syndrome, which I was always nervous about with tampons. It's easier and less yucky to clean than you'd expect, also.
Unfortunately I have not bought size two yet (which is necessary after pregnancy), but I had been thinking about it recently. Thanks for giving me the "final straw" to order it. :D There is no way I can go another month using chemical-laden products!
If you're interested in trying cloth, I've got the pieces (all cut and ready to go!) for several pad and panty liners. I'd gladly sew them up for you...
I have used both. I prefer the cloth pads, however I hate them at night, so I use the diva at night. My punctuation lasts 2 days now. Got that??? TWO DAYS!!! It used to last between 5 and 6, with horrible cramping. Now it's 2, pretty heavy, but just 2 - almost no cramps at all. I still get PMS, tho. I wish there was some natural way to remedy that. Do you know of one?
Kristen,
I would love it if you could post your pattern - given the time of course! I would love to be able to make my own, but I am a SUPER newbie sewer... No confidence at all.
Oh.my.goodness! You haven't tried cloth pads? Really? Sheesh girl! Get with the program! Ok, I'm totally just kidding!
I haven't had a punctuation in 3 years (yep, been pregnant and nursing that long lol) but I have use cloth pads for my postpartum bleeding and LOVED them! If you get the OBV kind, sorry, rayon kind or even just velour, they made you feel so comfy and special! Seriously! I can't wait to get my punctuation again so I can use all my cloth!
Don't forget to swing by and get a mama pad bag from me when you start using cloth or the "thingy"!
I feel so betrayed, girls! All of y'all have known all this all along and NOBODY told me. I tell ya...
Well, I thank you all for being so open and honest. I will certainly be considering my options. (All the while secretly hoping that I don't have another grammar lesson for a long time.)
Ahem, I remember mentioning my cloth pads several times and you just gave me a weird look, so I dropped it. :)
Well you never told me I was POISONING my girl parts, Tanya! And.. like I said, I'm really not a pad girl. I probably wouldn't have looked at you so funny if you'd told me about your diva thingy.
LOL......well, my bad. I just assumed that anyone who would be yucked out by cloth pads wouldn't even consider a diva......cause they can be a lot more, um, messier. Snort.
Post a Comment