October 28, 2009

It's a no go

Elle is 8 months, 2 weeks old today so while I was cutting up an avocado for lunch for the rest of us I thought, "Hey, why not." We put her in the high chair and gave her a chunk. Let's just say that it made for much better finger paint than food. She thought it was pretty funny that we were all standing around staring at her. Eventually, she did taste a tiny bit.......



She promptly began gagging and carrying on(SUCH a dramatic girl!)....


After she felt she had sufficiently spit it all back out it was back to finger painting. So, we shall wait another couple weeks... or longer. :) I'm perfectly content keeping my boobie monster all to my self and she's happy with that too.

If you're horrified that we didn't begin shoveling cereal in her mouth promptly at 4 months, please do read more about baby-led weaning and the benefits of delaying solids. Contrary to popular belief, breastfed babies don't need to start solids until they are a year. It's actually MUCH better for them if you DO wait longer than the traditional 4-6 months.

5 comments:

Loving Touch Wet Bags said...

heehee I had to giggle at the last paragraph! Nora is 8 1/2 months and is just starting to WANT to taste some things. She only gets a small bite here and there, not enough to change her diet.

Kristin said...

We didn't start J on solids until about a month ago. She LOVES it and was definitely ready. But, I do agree that the longer you can wait the better. Makes me want to cry when I hear people starting food with their 2 mo. old or 4 mo. old babies...

Jodi aka One Blessed Mama said...

I just love that age! It's my favorite! Courtney, I am north of Dayton, Ohio. No filled Ohio! :) Where are you?

Courtney said...

I never can figure out how to email a reply to a comment - can anyone tell me??

Anywho... Jodi, we are in extreme southern MN. Bummer, 1/2 a day away isn't exactly local.

Tanya said...

Hilarious!