September 22, 2009

Just Blah

I am tired and not feeling well and really have nothing to say, but I thought I'd leave you with a link following along with my post from last week. I just don't understand why in the US we're hung up on the cool factor of things rather than safety factors. I was browsing the interweb and found this article. One thing that REALLY stuck out to me was this quote;

From 1992 through June 1997, only 9 children properly restrained rear-facing died in motor vehicle crashes in Sweden, and all of these involved catastrophic crashes with severe intrusion and few other survivors.


In Sweden kids rearface a minimum of four years. So, only 9 children under age 4 died in 5 years. That many children die in US vehicle accidents EVERY.SINGLE.DAY! Call me crazy, but those statistics really speak for themselves as far as I'm concerned. Almost to the point of making you a negligent parent if you are AWARE of the safety ramifications and still turn your child at 1yr/20lbs. Just my two cents.

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Now, why can't we copy these sorts of things from Europe instead of all the stupid stuff.

Steph T said...

Wow, that is crazy!

Sorry you are feeling bad. :(

Jodi aka One Blessed Mama said...

Courtney- My husband is a Analysis and Safety engineer for Evenflo. The do tons of carseat checks. The stories he comes home with cause me to want to have my children refacing until they graduate high school. Okay :), I'm exaggerating but serious at the same time. Thanks for getting that statistic out for all to see!

Michelle said...

Did not know that. Wow. The problem with rear facing them is that my kids always have long legs. My kids always reached 20 pounds by a year (my boy, much sooner) and his feet were up to his chest because he had such long legs. They should consider those statistics and create cars better for little kids so they can be kept safe.