September 24, 2009

BabyWearing Week


We are right in the midst of International Babywearing Week. I LOVE wearing my babies/toddlers. I made my first pouch style sling when Audrey was little and even before that remember using a simple piece of cloth to tie her on. Since Elle was born I've discovered SO many more ways to wear a baby, there are entire websites devoted to the topic. Since we've chosen not to use infant bucket seats and strollers around here, we babywear a LOT. I ALWAYS wear her when I'm out and nearly every day at home as well. Tying her on my back sure beats having a fussy baby crawling around clawing at my ankles!

Surprisingly, as odd as it looks to meander the isles of Target with a baby on your back rather than in the shopping cart like "normal" people we get a lot of positive comments. Occasionally there will be a little old lady with some snide remark making sure she can breathe or an inquiry as to how I got her up there and am I sure I can get her down without dropping her and maybe they should help me. Mostly though, I think people can recognize that as odd as a wrap looks it sure beats a Baby Bjorn "crotch hanger" as Chris so affectionately refers to them, lol!

There are as many types and kinds of carriers as there are brands of shoes. Unfortunately, the more supportive and easy to use ones can't be found in a regular store. The three types of carriers that get the most loving here are a Mei Tai, ring sling, and woven wrap, all of which I had to purchase online. Yes, I only use them one at a time, but each has it's own pros/cons and usefulness.

The ring sling is a great quick trip in the store kind of carrier because it has easy on/off "popability" with nothing to tie or buckle. It's also great at church or other gatherings when I know that Elle will want to eat. It's definitely easiest to nurse in a ring sling. The ring sling goes everywhere with me. Unfortunately I don't have any good action shots, but the one I have is a Big Sur Girasol woven wrap that was slingified by Jan at Sleeping Baby Productions. It's beeyoootiful.

We also have a Mei Tai, mine is a BabyHawk and I LOVE it, is great for shopping or hiking or other long term wearing. It's uber comfy for baby and wearer.

The woven wrap is my around the house carrier. Elle typically spends the morning, like now, on my back napping. I can get school and chores done and she is happy as a clam. I've had a couple different wovens. The one currently living here is a Bara Barn rebozo which is just a simple piece of cotton that is about 3yds long. That's relatively short so it can only be used for a couple carries, but it's easy to manage and doesn't take up as much room as a standard 5yd long wrap. Ian loves wearing his little sister in the woven wrap. :)

So, whether you actually buy a carrier or you make your own, wear a baby. They'll be happier and you'll have your hands free! Happy BabyWearing!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ETHEL- I also made my own!!! I love it, cause i can do so many things with him tied to me, like wash the dishes or type on the computer, and it makes shopping so much easier!!! love it+