September 12, 2008

What's in a name?

How important do y'all feel it is to have a name mean something?? We have fallen in love with a girl name that is entirely made up. Well, not entirely, I actually first heard the name a couple years ago when a man in my church announced that his son and daughter-in-law were adopting a little girl and they had chosen to give her this particular name after a child that the older gentleman and his wife had lost as a baby. So, I know for a fact that two girls have been given this name, but apparently no one told babynames.com to add it to their list of 20 million off the wall names. I've googled and searched countless name meaning books and sites and the name doesn't appear to exist. But I love it. It's strange, but lovely all at the same time. Is that bad? What protocol do you think is important in the giving of a name. In biblical times, your name more or less told you who you would become. There is an entire market out there for personalized baubles, will it be terrible if I know without a doubt that my little one will never see her name on any of those items?

I'd REALLY like to hear your input on this one. PLEASE!? How did you choose your children's names. Would you rather have a truly unique name or be one of billions of Katie's and Jennifer's?

5 comments:

Tanya said...

Teya is a pretty unique name. I've only heard it twice....an actress has it but spells it different and I heard it on a tv show. After lots of searching, I did find a meaning, from a longer native name HaTeya. Meanings are somewhat important to me.....but that's just me. If I heard a name that I LOVED and it didn't really have a meaning, I'd use it anyway.

Can you break down the name at all and get a meaning from part of the name? Maybe look up the latin/greek root of part of it? Or find a similar name and use it's meaning? For instance, I love the name Taryn. But it doesn't have a meaning. I did find out that it comes from the names Tara and Karen....so I could sort of mix the "meanings" of those names to get the "meaning" of Taryn. If you are worried about it, give her a really meaningful middle name. If "she" is even a girl.....

I like my name, it's not strange but it's not really that popular anymore, either. Kind of like yours.

Courtney said...

I took your advice, Tanya, and started breaking the name down in pieces and searching that way. I found it!! It's the exact same pronunciation we want to use and everything, just a different spelling. I never would have guessed the alternate spelling either. Hooray!! I feel much better about it now.

"If she is even a girl." I know, I know. I went and got my heart set on a girl after Thorne said last week that it looked "rather girl like". What does THAT mean?! I think he was just being ornery because he said he'd tell us for sure when we go back next week.

Steph T said...

Glad you found it!! :) I think we try to find names that are significant in meaning but all our kids' names run along from names in the Bible. No Jezebel's here. :) We pick our names with the priority of the person (namesake) over the meaning. So we take into account the stories about that person in the Bible and also if there is anyone that has significantly touched our own lives bearing the same name. (Um...that doesn't really explain "Eden", does it? Ask Mitch.)

For years we have wanted to use the name Hannah. My brother and his wife just found out they are expecting their second girl and are going to use the name Hannah. :( I'm pretty bummed. On the upside of that, my brother has the same person by that name in mind as me who touched his life. So the namesake is the same and will be passed on in our family. That's pretty cool. But I'll probably be sad for a long time that we are not using it. Especially if this (still unannounced) little one is a girl.

Think I'll end up using Manasseh for a boy?? LOL

Courtney said...

Steph~
I've always liked Hannah. Audrey was almost a Hannah. I know the frustration of someone picking a name that you had, but you will find a name that suits your next little one perfectly!
I can't say as I know too many Manasseh's! I don't think you need to worry about anyone stealing that one. ;)

Kristin said...

Our kids names (in particular the last 3 - and new baby) have been chose with meaning in mind. For instance, #5 means "God's gift of abundant blessings from above."

Most of our kids will probably never have their names on anything that isn't personalized by us... except for Alex. :)

Just thought I'd add my 2cents here :)

~kjl