May 29, 2008

Lapbooking???

I'm going to swallow my pride here for just a minute and pose a question to you homeschoolers. What on earth is lapbooking??? Granted, I am a home educating newbie, but I've known plenty of homeschool kids/families and this is something that is entirely foreign to me.

So... I know there are a number of lurking home educators that stop by. HELP ME! :) Thanks y'all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lapbooking is a creative way of presenting unit studies, topics, and projects.

google images : lapbooking
www.flickr.com : lapbooking pool

http://lapbooking.wordpress.com/
Lapbooking 101 - gets you started with ample links, ideas, process of lapbooking

Courtney said...

Thanks for the links!

Wow... they look like a ton of work. My creative hands-on kids would probably love it though.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I too am clueless and I did google lapbooking a while ago. I have enough trouble scrapbooking my own pictures..now i have to "lapbook" our studies too? GEEZ. You creative people. Stop being so creative. You make me look bad.

Courtney said...

Michelle~
I'm not a scrapbooker AT ALL! All those little pieces and scissors and glue and ugghh... NOT my forte!
I can see how these would be effective for kids who are very visual learners and need to interact and see the stuff all out there. While my kids love art, thank God I can read or say something to them and they'll remember it forever. Good in school, NOT so good when I say stuff I maybe shouldn't have, lol!

Annette said...

Hey Courtney...

Good question! "Lapbook" is kind of a new buzz word in homeschooling. I too have all auditory learners. Part of it stems from their violin training, etc.

With that said, we have started to lapbook... not a lot, and right now only one subject... history. We did a history coop with some other homeschoolers and I wanted a way to display their studies so that they have something to look back on over the years and to remember what they did during this special time. They have really enjoyed it and now of a finished product to be proud of.

Our homeschool is fairly intense with intense phonic, math and music. At this point a little more lax with history and science, but I'm always offering them materials (mostly auditory listening) that they really, really enjoy.

I AM NOT A SCRAPBOOKER! I would love to be, but that's not me and I don't have the time. I have enjoyed helping and in some cases putting together their entire lapbooks (after they have learned the material and have done the work and coloring). Mine are probably far from creative and I definately need a template of some kind. Since having 3 kids in 3 years, my creativity only goes so far.

Here are some more links to free lapbooking stuff...

http://www.homeschoolhelperonline.com/lapbooks.htm

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/Lapbooks_at_HSS.php

I have also purchased a lapbook for our Apologia Astronomy but have decided to wait on doing it until next summer, when Isaiah is another year older.

HTH! Have a great day.