We don't have any real big vacations planned over summer, but we do tend to take more weekend road trips this time of year. One thing that's been on my mind with everyone everywhere driving somewhere is what we can do to minimize risks on the road. Particularly for our precious little passengers. Know what that means? Time for some car seat reminders. :)
Those of you who know me or have been reading here for any length of time know that for my family meeting minimums when it comes to child restraint laws just doesn't cut it. That said, it IS important to know the laws in yours state AND any states you'll be traveling through. I don't think many people give it any thought, but you are responsible for following the laws of the state you are in, not where you live. For example, we live right on the IA/MN border. IA law only requires that children be in some type of seat until their sixth birthday, however, if you cross the border into MN anyone up to age eight must be in a car seat/booster. An even larger jump in what is legal comes when you cross over from South Dakota to Minnesota. Our neighbors to the west say it's perfectly legal once your child hits 4yrs and 40lbs to allow them to use just a vehicle seat belt. Additionally, the great state of Minnesota is one of the few that requires EVERY vehicle occupant, regardless of age, to use a seat belt. No more thinking that if you sit in the back seat your are magically protected and don't need to buckle. Here is a great map with all the states listed and what their laws are. Be sure to check it before you hit the road this summer!
For more reading on this subject, see my CPS page.
5 comments:
I love having Shi rear-facing... and she seems to like it too. ") We do switch things around a bit when we send them to grandpa and grandma's house because it's easier. I know, poor excuse, but that's the only time Shi is forward facing, and Levi is usually in a 5-point but sits in a booster. He does really well sitting correctly, so it doesn't bother me too much, but I do feel better when he's in his "regular" seat.
Thanks for the great info you've passed on that has me more educated than I ever wanted to be. ")
I've been looking at this stuff again because I think Lucy is close to moving up to a Nautilus. Do you like that seat? I do want to keep her harnessed as long as possible - until college? lol
@Kristin - That is great that Shi is still rear facing at 3! I hear you on sometimes going for what's less than ideal out of convenience. We do the same. My mom's vehicle won't fit all three of the kid's everyday seats so Audrey uses a booster in there.
@Christy - We really like the Nautilus! It is a BIG seat, especially since we were used to just having tiny Radians. We just got it when we upgraded to a van about four months ago. If you have a larger vehicle they are great. One thing I would say about them though is that I'd opt for the ones with the softer fabric rather than the mesh. I think the mesh is called 'Matrix' and it's available at Walmart. Target or online stores have the plush fabric in lots of colors. Audrey likes to sit cross legged and I'm afraid velcro shoes would have really wreaked havoc on the mesh by now.
You are so helpful! Thank you for all this info! I bookmarked the page with the US map of laws, which I"m sure I'll be referencing in the future when I can't remember the guidelines. :)
Now that I know so much more about rear-facing, I wish Jonah could still sit that way! Unfortunately, his seat is one that only goes up to 35lbs. rear-facing, and he's already past that.
Thanks for the tip Courtney!
Post a Comment