November 18, 2008

To plan or not to plan?

What are your thoughts on writing a birth plan? I had honestly never considered it until my OB appointment yesterday. I was asking questions of the nurse and expressing things that bothered me about my previous two deliveries. She suggested that I write a birth plan before my next appointment in two weeks to discuss with my doctor. So, what do you think? Has anyone done it? Do they make any difference whatsoever? I always figured that hospitals do what they do regardless of how you feel about it. That is a big part of why we seriously considered delivering this newest little miss at home. Given the fact that we are 40 minutes from the nearest hospital, it just didn't seem wise.

On another note, the appointment we have in two weeks is for yet another ultrasound. We covet your prayers as we prayerfully hope that my placenta has moved completely out of the way and it will in no way complicate our delivery.

3 comments:

Steph T said...

Ohhhh Courtney, I have so many thoughts right now that I really am having a hard time processing my own. I went with Kristin to the hospital this weekend (she's fine now, but was in a lot of pain then) and we had such a terrible time there that I'm now feeling very scared about what will happen when it is my time. This is NOT good. I've delivered 5 babies there, so why now??? I think it's still a good idea to write out a birth plan. I did this last time and went over it with my doctor. That's when I found out way ahead of time that somethings on my plan (like no iv, for example) were just not possible (an iv is required if having baby #6 or more...amazing). It helped me to prepare a lot. My hubby was prepared as well, and Kristin was there. So even if the nurses didn't really care what was in my birth plan, at least my support people were on board and helped me stay focused. Thankfully my hospital (at that time) respected many of my wishes. After our experience this weekend, I'm a little worried about the future. :(

I'll say a prayer for your u/s that the placenta has moved enough!!

Courtney said...

Steph~
Oh my, I'm glad to hear that Kristin is doing better. She's gotta hang in there for another month at least.

What do you mean you're scared?! You're an old pro at this baby business!! You'll do just fine. You definitely have an advantage in that you know how your hospital works. I'm new here, but have heard lots of good things about my Dr/hospital.

That's interesting that you mention the IV. And bizarre that they require it after #5. That's one of the things that we plan on addressing. I'm fine with a heparin lock, but I don't want to be chained to anything; IV, monitors, etc.

Tanya said...

No matter what kind of birth you want to have, the second you walk into our hospital, they shove an IV in your hand. It's protocol.....well, I guess you aren't really "chained" to anything, it's just the catheter.

They will monitor the baby, but not the whole time. You put one of those fancy mesh tummy belts on and then they put the monitors under it every half hour or something....I can't exactly remember. But they just monitor the baby for a few minutes and then they take them off.

Make sure you tell the doc your birthing wishes. I think he puts it in your chart and then the nurses see it once you are admitted. Be super nice, appreciative, concise and assertively polite with the nurses up there.....it helps.

This is where having a support team comes in handy. They know your birth plan and can assist in making it happen. Sometimes mom is so focused on the contractions and dad is so off in la la land that it helps to have somebody else there with you. It certainly helped me anyway.

Best advice to you though - let Thorn know what you want.