A couple years ago we discovered a couple mulberry trees out in our grove. Last year we completely missed getting them picked before the birds got to them. This year, I've been watching the tree like a hawk! When the first few were ripe enough to pick I was right there! We've eaten a lot of them plain, but I also wanted to try my hand at making something. One of my favorite homesteading blogs posted a recipe just in time! I made a couple very teensy little changes, my recipe is as follows:
Whole Wheat Mulberry Pie
Crust:
2 1/2 C whole wheat flour(I used freshly ground soft white wheat)
1/2 t sea salt
10 T butter
8-10 T water
Stir flour and salt together. Cut in butter. Stir in water until you've got a nice ball. This is enough to make a top and bottom crust, so divide in half, roll it out, put the bottom in your pie plan and sit tight with the top for now.
Filling:
4 C mulberries cleaned and destemmed(prepare to get dirty!)
1 C sucanat
1/2 C whole wheat flour
Toss that together, fill your pie crust and place the top crust on. Crimp your edges.
Bake at 400* for 15 minutes, reduce to 350* and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
Allow to cool and enjoy!! As you can see, we ate ours with vanilla bean ice cream. It was delicious. :)
1 comment:
That looks yummy!
Post a Comment