December 2, 2010

Crustless Bacon and Kale Quiche


I was in the mood for eggs today. Not just plain jane eggs, it had to be something I could feed my hungry brood for lunch. The usual scrambled, etc didn't sound good. So, I set about to create something new that was sure to please. I've never made quiche in my life. I've never even made a standard egg bake so this was all new territory for me. I'd say I succeeded with flying colors and the rest of my family heartily agreed. :)

Crustless Bacon and Kale Quiche

2 C kale, chopped- I imagine you could substitute spinach or something similar if you don't have kale
1/2 small onion, chopped
8 eggs - our eggs are pretty small, I'd probably cut down to 6 if you have large eggs
1/4 C sour cream
1/4 C fresh cream
3/4 C shredded cheese, I use white cheddar
6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into little pieces
pepper
thyme
butter

Cook bacon. I bake mine in the oven on a broiler pan at 500°. While that's cooking, clean and chop your kale and onion. Saute onion in butter until done, toss in the kale and stir constantly until it's just wilted. Remove from heat. Dump the onions and kale into a buttered square baking dish(I used 8x8 because that's what I have). Beat together eggs, sour cream, and cream. Stir in a good sized pinch of thyme and some pepper. Pour that into your baking dish. When bacon is done, chop into pieces and sprinkle over the eggs. Cover with shredded cheese. Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes or until the cheese just starts to brown and there's no egg-y liquid left.

2 comments:

sonia said...

excellent. my kind of cooking!

A Slightly Better Wife said...

Sounds delicious!! I've never had kale, but I've had a spinach and bacon quiche and it was delicious! I even made a couple, but the kids didn't care for it :-(