May 8, 2009

Look What I Can Do! :)


I did it! I sewed a zipper. I've long had a fear of zippers. Buttons too, but I'll conquer that one another day. I didn't do a good job by any stretch of the imagination, but it's done. :)

I've been wanting another wet bag for going out. I have one that Kristin so graciously sent me and I use it ALL the time. It's a hassle only having one though because say I used it yesterday and now we're going out again today and it's not clean and now what do I do? I thought about buying one, but I couldn't bring myself to spend the money when I knew very well that I had the things to make one already here.

So, I found this tutorial, an ivory zipper I had laying around for some reason(I must have chickened out on whatever I was going to zip), PUL leftovers from when I made my diaper pail liner and this lovely vintage Amy Butler fabric that matches the zipper and PUL just beautifully and I went to work. Now the zipper I had is only 7in long so this bag is itty bitty, but I really didn't want to waste lots of fabric on something I'd likely botch up. It holds two small Bumgenius dipes just perfectly, great for a short trip to the store or library. If you look closely you can see that I really messed up, but it's functional and I like it.


So, that's my little brag on myself. I needed something to excercise my sewing skills. The shop MUST reopen soon and it's been SOOOO long since I've sewn much of anything.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Looks like you did a great job!

Steph T said...

You did a fantastic job--I'm so proud of you. If I'd known that you had a fear of zippers I would have told you to try it sooner!! :)

Sheri said...

You go girl!