May 19, 2009

Garden Time!!

Our garden always seems to go in later than everyone else. It's kind of tough because obviously field work takes priority and the garden is Chris's baby. I am only allowed to weed and harvest. The planning and planting is all up to him. The last of the soybeans are going in today though so now it's time to get to the good stuff, yay!
In his spare moments, Chris has been working on getting things ready. He reads like crazy and has decided to go for a raised bed approach. I know nothing about this, but our garden has trenches which will be lined with newspaper and covered with straw. Apparently having the planting rows higher than the walking rows cuts down on compaction so you get better roots or something. If it gives me veggies, then it's all good!
We've got about 800 sq feet of regular garden this year and a separate pumpkin patch because last year the pumpkins attacked the watermelons and stole all the water. Our little 800 feet will be giving us sweet corn, cucumbers, green beans, various varieties of tomato, bell peppers, jalapenos, beets, squash, watermelon, blueberries, rhubarb, radishes, lettuce, spinach and carrots. I think that's all of it. That's a LOT of veggies! :) Also, we're going to start some container herbs. Basil, oregano and cilantro to start with because those are the most used here.

He's trying to explain to me where everything is going to go.
Here's a better view of the raised beds. Chris is over there digging in the compost pile. Even though we just started it last fall, we have lots of good usable compost. All the way over on the left you can see the pumpkin bed. Excuse our dandelions. They are rather out of control.

Then, I asked Ian to take the camera back in the house. Apparently he thought he'd do a self-portrait first. :) I found this when I uploaded the pictures. Silly boy.


6 comments:

Tanya said...

Don't worry, we are behind you. All we have done is burn our old weeds from last year. Haven't even tilled yet.

We do raised beds for our cucumbers. It works nice.

Mmmmm.....you guys like raspberries? I'll swap you some for blueberries.

Steph T said...

Oh man, we are years behind you. My hubby wants to do a garden every year and never makes it. First of all, we have very little space to work with. Second, the space that we do have is pretty much too wet. Third, I kill everything without even trying. Literally. Except the 3 tiny oak trees in our yard. I'm not sure how those have managed to survive, but I was so excited to see them finally sprouting leaves this week. :) I was raised on a farm and my grandmother grew so much stuff, so how did I end up with black thumbs??? Oye. I'm also not cut out for canning. I just need a good whack over the head, don't you think?

Courtney said...

Sorry Tanya, Chris says we aren't going to have enough to share this year. This is the first year for them so we may not even get any. We'll see.

Steph, I have a black thumb as well. That's why farmer boy is in charge of everything. I'm just in charge of eating. :D As for canning, I'm clueless. I was so sick last summer that a lot of produce got wasted. This time around I'm determined to figure out this canning business.

Tanya said...

Just freeze everything, it's a lot easier than canning. I only can fruit (although I freeze a lot of it, too).

Good luck with the blueberries. They are really finicky plants.....my Grandma and I have yet to succeed with those things. Raspberries on the other hand.....wooo....even black thumbed people can raise those. ;)

Tanya said...

Oh, and I LOVE the pic of Ian. That is so funny.

Kelsey said...

Yum! It all sounds delish. I wish we had the space for a garden. Evan brought home a potato plant from preschool today. Haha..any ideas what I'm supposed to do with it?