May 1, 2009

Curriculum

Anyone else thinking about next year yet?? As much as we have and still are enjoying Heart of Dakota, I think I'm going to switch things up a bit. With a year and a half under our belts now I'm feeling a bit more comfortable and seriously considering stepping out from the safety of boxed set curriculum.
So far, here's what I'm thinking. Of course this is all very subject to change. I will be using this post as a sort of virtual white board for myself so it will be updated and changed until I get things figured out. If you have any experience with these I'd love to hear it, good or bad. Also, let me know if I'm missing anything. I think I covered it all, but everything runs together after you stare at it for too long.

Ian - 3rd Grade

Spelling: ??

Language/Grammar: First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind

Penmanship: A Reason for Handwriting

Literature/Reading: 1000 Good Books List/SOTW Reading List/Drawn Into the Heart of Reading

Latin: Song School Latin

History: The Story of the World: Ancient Times maybe coupled with Mystery of History

Math: Singapore Math - Still debating this one. It's what we use now but wondering if there's something better. I don't like how something is taught and then not touched on again for another 6 months. By that time he's forgotten it completely. Any suggestions? I had thought about Saxon, but why is it so expensive?? We're going to stick with Singapore and just add in more review.

Science: Apologia-Exploring Creation - Zoology

Art: Lamb’s Book of Art 1

Geography: A Child's Geography: Explore His Earth

Bible: That one's up to Daddy. :)


Audrey - Kindergarten

History, Science and Latin with Ian.

Language: In a desperate attempt to teach her to read I'll continue trying stuff until we find something that works. This will include a hodgepodge of online resources(Starfall, etc) along with the Heart of Dakota stuff she abandoned this past year. I would also like to give The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading a try.

Math: Singapore Math

~

8 comments:

Kristin said...

We also use Singapore Math. The biggest issue I have run into is that they use metric, and since I don't have a scale it's tough for the kids to visualize the weights... This year we used TOG (Tapestry of Grace) which, interestingly enough, uses "The Story of the World" books. For Grammar we use Easy Grammar, which I really like! My biggest problem is the planning -- I'm just not good at it!! The thing I like most about TOG is that you can use it for all ages. They just learn age appropriate material - the depth of the learning increases as age increases. Since it's all based on history within the scope of the Bible account it helps incorporate the necessary Bible learning! :) For instance... in learning about Ancient Egypt they learn that this was the life/time that Moses would have lived in. Okay, enough rambling. I think you've mentioned before that you are great at planning/organizing. Want to come "school" me?? :)

Steph T said...

We use all A Beka...yeah, we're a bunch of traditionalists. What else would you expect from a licensed elementary teacher (my hubby is)?? I love their arithmetic curriculum. My best advice is to pick a curriculum and stick with it--many curricula are cyclical, so the concepts are reinforced each year. We both have strong math backgrounds, so we discovered that we do not need the curriculum guides at all. Our costs basically include the kids' workbook and the answer key (as well as the test/speed drill book and the answer key). The answer key can sometimes be found used at an appropriate price, or can be resold if needed. I'm sure this is true for any good curriculum.

We used the Bible curriculum from Summit Ministries last year, called Building on the Rock. It's an incredible curriculum, which focuses heavily on worldview training. The only drawback for us is trying to decide on a grade level--this year we had a 5th grader, 4th grader, and 2nd grader. There was no way we would have enough time to do each individually, yet it didn't seem easy to combine them either. We still have to discuss next year... :)

Tanya said...

If you like drill and lots of repetition, you'll like Saxon (but that's the reason I don't like it). If you are happy with Singapore, don't change. I agree with Steph: just pick a (math) curriculum and stick with it. Singapore is set up completely different than the way we were taught when we were in school, so it can be frustrating for the parent. If he is learning, that's what matters.

We do A Reason for Handwriting and I have been happy with it. It's basic and simple and my kids are learning to write. And they write scripture instead of nonsense.

I've heard great things about Apologia, although we won't be using it until 7th grade.

I've also heard good things about Story of the World. I think I even have one of the books around here somewhere. I'm sold on Mystery of History myself (along with Sonlight history).

You take a much more classical approach than I, so maybe you don't want to listen to any of my advice. ;P

Courtney said...

Thanks, ladies, for all your help!

I agree that we need to find a math program and stick with it. So far, he's never done anything two years in a row since he's been in public, private and home school all in the last two years. The problem is finding what works.

Abeka is a no-go. I grew up with it in private school and hated it. That's what the private school here used as well and Ian quickly grew tired of the tedious nature of all the workbooks. It's definitely written for classroom use.

Kristin/Tanya - Do you find that your kiddos forget a lot using Singapore? I'd like a cross between Saxon and Singapore. Some repetition but not so much that we're bored to death. We'll probably stick with Singapore and just be more diligent about back-tracking frequently to keep skills sharp.

I will definitely look into that Bible material, Steph, thanks for the suggestion!

Tanya, you know I always love to pick your brain, even if our styles are a bit different. I chose Reason for Handwriting because you recommended it. :)

Tanya said...

Do you get the extra practice workbooks with Singapore? I used them one year and loved them. I was amazed at the stuff that Teya was figuring out in her head.....and so quickly. Once we switched to a different math curriculum, she lost it all. Ugh.

And from what I've heard, if you don't like A Beka, you won't like Saxon. But, I have no experience with either, just going off of what other homeschool mamas have said.

Courtney said...

I haven't used the extra practice before, but I was thinking that may help. Thanks for mentioning it.

Annette said...

Hi Courtney..

I have to chime in...

LOVE The Well Trained Mind stuff. We use First Language Lessons. Currently doing Grade 1 for Isabel and Grade 3 for Isaac. Also using Wise's Writing With Ease. Love both very much.

We did Singapore our first 2 years and then hit lots of tears. Isaac hasn now completed Math U See Alpha, Beta and Gamma and I love the way the teaching videos works. Isabel is 6 and currently 1/2 way through Beta. Isaiah 5 and 1/2 way through Alpha. I love the way they teach concepts, etc.

We listened to Story of the World Vol. 1 audio this year and really liked it. Will be moving on to Vol 2 in the fall.

We have Apologia astronomy. I have had it for some time, but we have a difficult time getting to it. One thing I purchased to go with it that is awesome is a Lapbook that was designed to go with it. It even gives layout instructions. Go here...

http://www.liveandlearnpress.com/viewItems.php?category=18

Hope you are enjoying the beautiful spring weather!

Sheri said...

Courtney, I too have been praying so much about this coming 2009/2010 school year! What an honor to be a homeschooling mama, trusting our Father to guide our steps.

I also have so enjoyed Heart of Dakota, and will use Little Hands to Heaven with Alisa (who is 3 and wants her "own school time." Hee. Hee.), but I've also been mixing up things quite a bit for Savannah the past 4 months. Especially after reading "The Heart of Wisdom" and praying about unit studies, teaching the Biblical holidays, etc. Oh, I could write on this forever, but will do a post on my blog in the weeks ahead as we approach the summer.

*Hugs to you dear friend!*