July 2, 2010

Chicken Gnocchi Soup - My favorite thing to eat... this week

Every pregnant woman knows the phases of cravings. This entire pregnancy, I have been craving salt and really not caring much for sugary treats. Right now, I can not get enough Chicken Gnocchi Soup. Seriously, I've made it TWICE in the past week. Lucky for me, my family thinks it's pretty great too so it's okay. :) There are lots and lots of copy cat OliveGarden knock off versions of this dish, I'm not so much a recipe kind of cook but rather a dump what sounds good in cook. Here's basically how I make this bowl of deliciousness...

I tried to take my own picture, but I am not a food photographer. It looked just like this pic from OG. Mmmm... :)


Chicken Gnocchi Soup

2 C cooked chicken
4 C chicken stock
1 pint cream
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
some onion (I used a couple green onions because that's what I had. There are no rules, use whatever onion you want)
A big handful of fresh spinach, chopped
Gnocchi (You can probably make this from scratch, I found it in the freezer section of the grocery by the ravioli. It came in 24oz bags and I wanted to stretch it so I use 1/2 bag per batch)
Oil for sauteing(I like coconut oil)
Salt and Pepper
Thyme

Get out your pot and in it saute the carrot, garlic, and onion in a bit of oil for a few minutes. Then, dump in your cooked chicken, stock, cream, a good sized pinch of thyme, and plenty of salt and pepper. Bring all that to a boil and toss in the gnocchi(I put it in frozen). Boil for 4-5 minutes and then turn the heat down and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Taste it and season as needed. Finally, throw in the chopped spinach and let it cook for just a couple minutes until the spinach starts to wilt. Voila! Wasn't that easy?!

Serve with a big ol' bowl of fresh green salad and some bread. Oh my goodness, my mouth is watering! Lucky for me, I have some leftover in the fridge that I'm going to go enjoy for lunch. :)

3 comments:

Christy said...

Mmmm... can I come over and try some? It looks great! I've been wanting soup lately. :)

Sheri said...

We are HUGE Gnocchi fans in our house! But, I've never tried it in soup. This looks fabulous! MMmmm. Gotta love those pregnancy cravings. *Love & Hugs*

Kristin said...

Man, that looks super yummy! Wonder if my family would like it? Only one way to find out I suppose. ")