A while back I took advantage of an offer Tropical Traditions had and purchased some items. I have long had a love of coconut. Unfortunately for me, the only coconut I had known was the variety that comes atop a convenience store donut. You know, the kind that they've rolled in sugar or whatever it is they do. Well, what do you know, I really like the real stuff. Couple that with my attraction to all things chocolate and you have a woman on a mission to find the perfect coconut brownie. It's a tough job trying recipe after recipe. Not to mention licking all those bowls and spatulas. Grueling I tell you.
The first recipe I tried was the one on the Tropical Traditions web page. It yielded a very moist brownie. To the point where if you didn't keep them refrigerated they starting getting really soft. Don't get me wrong, they were delicious, I just don't know that I'll do them again.
Then, last night, in the midst of a chocolate attack {surely I'm not the only one who has those...right??} I began perusing the web looking for a recipe I could make using things I have on hand. I found one and with a bit of tweaking, I have discovered a very delicious brownie! After I had taken a bite I decided that you may want a picture so you could salivate along with me. :) Without further ado, here is the modified recipe I used...
1 C coconut flour
1/4 t sea salt
2/3 C cocoa powder
1 T baking powder
3/4 C butter
1/4 C chocolate chips
3 large eggs
1 C sucanat
1/4 C coconut oil
2 T vanilla
1/2 C lukewarm water
Coat a 9in square baking pan with coconut oil and preheat your oven to 350.
In a large bowl stir together coconut flour, salt, cocoa, and baking powder. Set aside.
In a small saucepan melt the butter. Once melted, add the chocolate chips. Once they start to soften, remove from heat and continue stirring(or get your handy assistant to do it, like I did)until they have all melted. Set aside to cool for a bit.
In a medium bowl, beat eggs and sucanat. Add oil and vanilla followed by the cooled chocolate mixture.
Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Since coconut flour is very thirsty, the batter will be quite dry, add about 1/2 C water to loosen things up.
Pour the batter into baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. While I did give in and eat a warm one right away, I found that they are even better if you throw them in the freezer for an hour or so. Enjoy with a big glass of milk. :)
2 comments:
I am SO going to try those. Better do it now before I'm breastfeeding again. Tropical Traditions makes THE best coconut oil.
We have a few other brownie recipes made with coconut flour on our site that you might want to try, like the chocolate fudge brownies.
Post a Comment